Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care
13500761

I was 12 when September 11th happened and me and my family

Customer Question

I was 12 when September 11th happened and me and my family lived 9 blocks away. On the day it happened I was downtown for about an hour no closer than 6 blocks from the WTC. My dad did not let us move back down for 6 months after 9/11. I am worried that my exposure to asbestos that day will give me mesothelioma. I have perfect breathing but I am worried that can all change at any minute. I don't remember being covered in dust or anything, but I remember seeing some cops running while we were looking for my family. Will I get mesothelioma from this short asbestos exposure?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 1 year ago.
Greetings from New York, this is Dr. Jerry E. I'm so glad you asked this question, let me give you some medical information now.

It is highly unlikely that you will develop mesothelioma from what you described. You would have to be heavily exposed with asbestos for it to lead to such...so you shouldn't worry at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so even if I breathed dust I should be okay right? And my family? We lived on the 20th floor 9 blocks away, I am worried when we moved back months later asbestos was in our house and me my mom and sister breathed it in?

The minimal amount of dust breathed in on that day would not cause mesothelioma. And do not worry your family either, as the asbestos exposure that causes mesothelioma is not what you or your family have experienced...
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience: Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Jerry,

Sorry I have one more question. I am a 23 year old male with no family history of ALS, Alzheimers, or anything like that, yet I am worried because of possible head trauma in the past.

Here are my past traumas:

When I was 5 I hit my head and got a small gash that needed six stitches on the back of my head. I didn't pass out or have any symptoms of a concussion.

When I was around 12 a baseball hit me in the back of my head. I got a bump on my head that went down on its own. Again no blackout or symptoms of concussion, just the bump.

I was also hit on the jaw twice in my life, it was painful to chew for a few days but no other symptoms besides that.

One time when I was on a water slide my head hit the water, I was a tiny bit stunned, but again didn't black out or anything.

Also a softball might have hit me in the head but again no blackout or concussion. I also played football two years but didnt play much and never really had any head hits.

I am worried because this seems like a lot, but maybe for a young guy this is normal. Are my experiences worrisome, am I at high risk of ALS and alzheimers or would you say my history is typical for a young guy who plays sports? I am very worried, do you think I will be okay?