Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

I have a medical question regarding dizziness. I have been

I have a medical question regarding dizziness. I have been dizzy and nauseated for several months. I’ve also been diagnosed with sinusitis for several years by my dentist and other physicians. The internal medicine doctor has recommended over-the-counter Allegra and Mucinex DM. The over-the-counter medications solve the problem for a few weeks. I have headaches and slight ringing in the ears. My lips and fingers appear to be affected by the dizziness also. What could be the problem?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How often you get dizziness? can you reproduce dizziness by head movements? Any pain/discomfort in ear or hearing problems? Do you think it is getting worse gradually? Any other medical problems or taking medication on regular basis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I experience dizziness everyday and throughout the day. Yes, sometimes the dizziness increases with head movements. Yes, I think it has become worse. It has become worse with a neck problem. I take arthritis medication such Loratab 7.5 and regular Tylenol. I've discontinued Cymbalta, but the dizziness continues. I've been on pain medication for several years because of arthritis.

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. Based on your description, you don't seem to have many associated symptoms. A feeling of dizziness could be due to wide number of causes such as inner ear problems, benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, sensory disorders, joint and muscle related issues, neurogenic problems etc. Sometimes off balance can be related to medication side effects as well. So there are many potential causes, but hardly any clue to pin point a specific cause. I see that you ongoing issues with head/neck infection and you keep on experiencing sinusitis, headache, and ringing ears along with ability to reproduce dizziness by head movements. Considering all these symptoms and your age, I think it is very important to pin point the exact cause so that it can be treated effectively. In my personal opinion, it seems like related to ear problems that can present like this. If we can pin point the cause of your symptoms, it will be quite easy to treat it. I am not sure if you ever had any specialist visit, but this is the time to get it evaluated by a specialist.You should start from an ENT doctor followed by a neurologist if you get a clean bill from your ENT doctor. I do see that you get temporary relief by taking OTC med, but that is not a permanent solution. The key to success is to find the cause and then treat it appropriately. You can read more about dizziness from this link. Click on different icons to view details:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dizziness/DS00435/DSECTION=causes

Since you acknowledge the fact your symptoms are getting worse, there is no point in waiting,,, please consider proper evaluation and investigation by an ENT doctor.

Please let me know if you have any specific question for me.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.