Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care

I was sitting down watching tv on monday when i began to see

I was sitting down watching tv on monday when i began to see squiggly lines and bright flashing lights in front of my eyes. Ever since that point, I have had a migraine on my eyelids and constant glares in my eyes. Do I have a major issue with my vision?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 4 years ago.
Greetings from New York, this is Dr. Jerry E. I'm so glad you asked this question, let me give you some medical information now.

Have you previously been diagnosed with/ treated for migraines? If so, how long do your migraines usually last? Have you experienced vision disturbances with past migraines?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, but never migraines with light disturbances that occur on the eyelids. My migraines can come and go for a couple days at a time.

Okay, thank you for that information.
Do you currently wear glasses or contact lenses?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have reading glasses but rarely use them. I do have an asstigmatism in both eyes.

What you are describing is caused by your migraines, just as you thought. However, you now seem to be experiencing a different type of migraine from what you have had in the past. The symptoms you have are consistent with that of an ocular migraine. Ocular migraines are migraine auras that affect your vision.Flashes of light, Zigzagging patterns, Blind spots, and Shimmering spots or stars are just a few of the most common symptoms associated with this condition. The first time an individual experiences this type of migraine is often very scary as many have reported that they felt as if they were going blind. I can assure you though, that your vision will not be affected long term by this condition. Once your migraine goes away, your vision will be restored completely.

Do you have any further questions for me about this>?