Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

Ive got a severe case of diarrhea with severe acid stomach

I've got a severe case of diarrhea with severe acid stomach and gurggling, cramping. not sure what it came from. did take a couple of doses of cipro from old rx (i'm a hospital phamacist) suspecting some kind of food poisoning however this has not helped. the gross exam of feces in a dark green color and has no odor, not sure of the pH. bismuth has not helped either. it's been ongoing 7 days now.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you have fever, nausea, dehydration? How severe is your diarrhea, is it a water diarrhea? Do you think it is getting worse? Any blood in it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

watery to semi solid consistency, no blood but very green a dark green. yes, nausea and not overt fever but feel some loss of energy and exhaustion. I'm taking kefir probiotics and keeping fluids up

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 1 year ago.
The way you are presenting looks like a case of acute gastroenteritis. Most of the time, these are caused by viruses so usually no antibiotics are needed and self recovery is expected within a week. The green color of stool is due to the rapid transit of food through intestinal tract and is common during diarrhea. I see that it's been 7 days with no sign of recovery, in that case it is also important to rule out other potential cases of acute diarrhea which may include bacteria or systematic disease. My personal recombination is to see your doctor for blood and stool test so that we can find the nature of problem and treat it appropriately. In the mean time you can take rest, liquid diet, soup and broths, and adequate water/electrolyte to maintain hydration. Avoid apple and pearl juice until you feel better. Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Gradually add semisolid and low fiber food as your bowel movements returns to normal. You can also take pepto-bismol for symptomatic relief. You can read more about this problem and conservative measures from here:
http://www.uhs.wisc.edu/health-topics/digestive-system/upset-stomach.shtml
http://www.uptodate.com/contents/acute-diarrhea-in-adults-beyond-the-basics

Please let me know if you have any other question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

then I should not take any antibitoics or antifungals, correct? What are the chances this is CD infection? The sour stomach has been intense and is not relieved by famotidine 40mg or 60 mg per day. wha can I do about that and the associated nausea so I can work and go to sleep.

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the follow-up.
Most people recover from it with conservative measures at home that is rest, hydration, and electrolyte balance. My personal thinking is that you are not recovering as per the expectation, and you still have lots of symptoms after 7 days. This is not very common,,,, at least by now you should be in the recovery phase. This is the main reason why I am suggesting you to go for blood and stool test. It seems like your stomach is very irritated that is why you still have moderate to severe symptoms. For stomach acid, you may like to take OTC antacid which acts fast for symptomatic relief. In the meantime, you have to work with your doctor to cure this infection. You can give your stomach a rest and start with liquid, semi-solid, and soft food. Avoid all those food that aggravate your symptoms.

I hope these information are helpful to you.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.