Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

What might spasms in legs and arms mean? The spasms in the

What might spasms in legs and arms mean? The spasms in the legs feel like tadpoles moving around?
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How long are you having this problem and how often you get these muscle spasm? Do you have any ongoing health problems?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The spasms are happening all of the time, it started last week in the calf muscles and now is happening in the arm and the rest of the leg.

This happened in april and carried on for a few days and then stopped. General health this year has not been good, had a lot of tooth pain since January, was training for a marathan but was unable to do it due to pain in teeth and the feeling of being unwell (have completed a marathan before and exercise everyday up until recently).

Sister died friday before last and this has come on a few days later. It is causing a lot of anxiety as not sure what it is and it is impossible to rest as the feeling of the spasms is constant.

Thank you for the information. Based on your description, it sounds like a muscle cramps which are mostly due to minor issues and unlikely a serious problem. Muscle cramps are contraction of a muscle that doesn't relax. Cramps can occur in any skeletal muscle, but are most common in the legs and feet and muscles that cross two joints (the calf muscle, for example). Cramps can involve part of a muscle or all the muscles in a group. The most commonly affected muscle groups are: Back of lower leg, Back/front of thigh, Feet, hands, arms, abdomen.

The exact cause of muscle cramps is unknown, but many experts think it is related to poor flexibility, muscle fatigue, over use, or doing new activity. Other factors associated with muscle cramps include exercising in extreme heat, dehydration and electrolyte depletion, kidney problems, peripheral vascular disease, thyroid problems, neurogenic issues, decreased blood supply etc.

Cramps usually go away on their own without treatment, but these tips will help speed up the recovery process: Stop the activity that cause the cramp, gently stretch and massage the cramping muscle, hold the joint in a stretched position until the cramp stops. Since you are actively involved in running, it might be related to your cramps, proper evaluation may pin point the exact cause.

As you stated, it is happening more frequently, a proper investigation is required to rule out secondary cause of cramps.

Generally if no specific cause is found, then preventing measures are more helpful in managing the cramps. You can talk to your doctor about this option. In the mean time the following measures can be helpful: Avoidance of excessive sugar intake and caffeine, take diet with plenty of potassium rich food such as bananas is helpful. Regular mild stretching exercise, Calcium, Vit. B complex, and Magnesium could be helpful.

I also see that you are undergoing lots of stress. If this is more like a sensation rather than a real cramps, then it could be related to stress. You doctor can differentiate all these possibility and guide you in a right direction.

You can read more about it from this link:

Please let me know if you have any other question for me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX cramp, it is movement, like spasims and twitching, you can actually see the muscle moving. Does your answer relate to this as well as cramps?

The term cramps and spasm have been used for the same purpose and in similar circumstances, but I think you may have muscle twitching additionally. As far as twitching is concerned, in most cases, it is related to stress and anxiousness which is true in your case. Beside anxiety, there are many other medical conditions that can cause twitching such as neurological problems, muscular dystrophy, muscle damage, magnesium deficiency etc. Just keep in mind that benign muscle twitching is far more common than any of these listed causes. I personally believe that you are experiencing all these symptoms due to stress and muscle fatigue/over use, but get it evaluated to rule out secondary causes. You can read more about twitching from this link:

I hope these information are helpful to you.