Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I think i may have cold sores because I have pimple on my upper

I think i may have cold sores because I have pimple on my upper lip after fever for 2 days.
Lot of flu going around in the town. But this is my second time have this pimple after fever.

When I read about cold sore on the internet it says herpes?

I thought herpes is a STD?

Once the cold sore is gone does it still spread?

Because on the internet it says not touch eyes or genitals after touch a cold sore. I was wonder if it can spread even after the cold sore is gone because it's a virus and always in the body..
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Does it look like a blister? Any pain, itching or tingling? Does it go on its own?

I think you are not on line at this time. I am sending this response based on your primary description. Considering the location of bump/sore and its onset after fever is suggestive of the possibility of cold sore. The cold sore is also known as fever blisters or oral herpes which is caused by Herpes Simplex Virus type 1 (HSV-1). It is a very common infection and can be transmitted by a direct contact of blisters, kissing, or oral-genital contact. As far as the transmitting to other body parts is concerned, it is possible to transmit it to other areas such as eye, genitalia, or hand, but this is not that common. Also, the risk of transmitting this infection to other body parts is higher during primary outbreaks because antibodies that developed after primary infection, in most cases, are able to present this kind of infection. If you are thinking about transmitting it to other person, then the risk is higher during the outbreaks. In asymptomatic phase, the risk of transmitting it to other person is very low but not zero. You can read more about it from these link:

http://www.medicinenet.com/herpes_simplex_infections_non-genital/page4.htm http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/how_herpes_simplex_virus_transmitted_000052_3.htm

Please let me know if you have any other question for me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it's swollen little bit. Pimple like bump on the lip. Little pain.

I applied abreva both the times and it dried of and was gone in few days.

I sacred of transmitting to other members in the family, because it's says not to shared utensils etc.. Is this for rest of my life or during the outbreaks...

Thanks for the follow-up.
The virus remains in the body for rest of your life, but the risk of transmission is higher during the outbreaks. Thus, whenever you get it, extra care has to be taken to prevent transmission to others. You should also keep in mind that it is possible to transmit infection during asymptomatic phase, but the risk is quite low. Unfortunately, it is a very common infection now a days, but with proper care it can be taken care. Thus, you should follow those preventing strategies mentioned in the mayo clinic website.

I hope these information are helpful to you.