Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

My rheumatologist found an abnormal protein band 1, 0.4 (M-protein)

My rheumatologist found an abnormal protein band 1, 0.4 (M-protein) during a blood test. Everything else was normal including urinalysis, calcium, creatine, WBC and RBC. Follow up test for immunofixation serum showed IgG kappa monoclonal band present. He told me I have a 1 in 32 chance of having Myeloma and is sending me to a hematologist. My symptoms are tingling in feet and occasionally hands, occasional dizziness, vertigo, fatigue and daily throbbing headaches. Not sure if any of these are related. Should I be worried that I might have Myeloma? Thank you.
Answers are for informational purposes only. Please confirm any information given with your own doctor. If I don't respond right away, be patient.

Was your CBC with diff totally normal?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Doc: Yes, WBC 7.5, RBC 4.62, hemoglobin 14.8, hematocrit 44.7, all within normal range.

Okay Steve.

Highly unlikely to be myeloma.

At worst, right now this is MGUS. Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance.

That is exactly what it sounds like.

Some MGUS can progress into myeloma but some just stays as is.

So, I don't think you have myeloma but seeing a hematologist is a good idea as they will be able to monitor you and watch any progression.

You will likely never need any treatment for or have any problems from this Steve.

Please don’t click “bad” or “poor” service as this leaves negative feedback for me. If you aren’t 100% satisfied or have more questions, click “reply” instead.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr. Phil: The rheumatologist said it was MGUS (forgot to mention), yet I'm wondering why he made the odds for Myeloma so high? From what I've read online, the chance is only 1% per year. Thanks so much for your help.

You're welcome Steve.

possibly because of your symptoms but I disagree with him and agree with your number

1% per year or less in most case series.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So if the hematologist want to do more than just additional blood work, i.e. a bone marrow biopsy, I'm wondering if it's necessary?

I would push for monitoring over time and bone marrow biopsy if anything changes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I feel a little more relieved prior to my hematologist visit next Wednesday. Best wishes to you for a happy holiday!

you too Steve!

Good luck and happy labor day sir.

Don't forget an excellent rating for me. I appreciate it. :)