TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
13956133

My aunt has Hepatitis C. It progressed to cirrocis. She

My aunt has Hepatitis C. It progressed to cirrocis.

She is on really strong treatments which have caused her titers to go to zero and they have been there for a few months now.

Is this a very good sign that she will be cured? If she is not actually cured (her titers climb back up after treatment), is she contagious? I'm curious because I live with her. I'm concerned about sharing toilet seats as she has her menstral period still. Can I catch it while her titers are on zero?

Hello-

It sounds like you are describing her viral load has gone down to an undetectable level,

We consider someone cured if the viral load remains 0 for six months after treatment has stopped.

Obviously her achieving an undetectable VL is a good prognostic sign of response to therapy, as long as she completed the whole regimen.

As far as transmission to you- there is no risk from toilet seats. The risk is from exposure to infected blood- If she responds - then she would not be at any risk. Even if she does not fully respond ( and is not cured) casual household contact is not a risk to you.

Good luck

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.
POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Would she not even be able to transmit to me if she were to accidentally get a few drops of menstral blood on the toilet seat? I just worry, not only transmission to myself my by children as well.

The therapy is 40+ weeks. She is at week 19. I hope this cures her as she has been through a lot with this treatment. I am so hopeful for her!

If her VL is 0- then there is no risk at all.

If she did have active infection or relapse - there would be some theoretical risk of exposure to blood, if you had an open sore- unlikely for you to sit on a bloody seat, with an open wound exposed....

Just think about what it would take for transmission- overall very low risk to you and your children.

And yes the treatment can be rough...

Some of my patients need as long as 48 weeks of the injections. Hopefully she will continue to respond.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've wiped blood off the seat before with toilet paper then sat down. I guess that's why I worried. Didn't think about disinfecting it.

Thanks for your help.

Right..

As I noted- extremely low risk.

But if you wanted to further ease your worry, household bleach kills Hep C fairly quickly.

I hope that helped Let me know if you have further questions