Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

coughing up white stringy mucus from throat constantly. What

Customer Question

coughing up white stringy mucus from throat constantly. What can I do to stop it
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA

I am Dr. Thomas, MD, board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine, so I cover a lot of ground and can help you with your question.

I will either give you an answer right away or have questions for you. Either way, use reply until you are ready to rate the answer: Please note that answers for information and education only.

How long have you had this

What medical problems do you have

What other symptoms do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hav had this approx 2 years. I am on heart medication (Metroprolol, Lipitor, Aspirin, Coversyl. following aheart attack three years ago. This thing wakes me up at night time and is driving me a bit crazy.

Have had throat and lungs checked as well as nose and sinuses Xray.

Let's say nose and sinuses are clear.
Lungs are clear.
And you don't have heart failure which can also do this.
And you don't have asthma [has to be checked with spirometry.

It can be the coversyl: this is an ACE in inhibitor and can cause cough. This might be switched to an ARB, a similar medicine that might have less cough.

Let's say it is not this........

It is most likely GERD or reflux disease...often overlooked in this situation as the only symptom might be cough and mucus and nothing else.

Worse at night would go along with this because small traces of acid would be more likely to reach the throat when in bed.

A 4 week course of prilosec or nexium or similar drug could help determine if this is the case.

Let me know if you have further questions. Just use reply if you are not done.

Please rate one of the positive ratings: the only way we are compensated for time and expertise. If you are not done or satisfied, use reply to expert [not poor/negative]. Come back anytime. Bonuses are great…but your satisfaction is my goal.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites