Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

What does "Large Platelets" mean?Lab sheet...occ Giant Platelets

What does "Large Platelets" mean?Lab sheet...occ Giant Platelets abnormal.

Very large platelets are called as Giant platelets.

Platelet size is of diagnostic significance when considered in relation to the platelet count. Small or normal-sized platelets in association with thrombocytopenia suggest that the cause is a failure of bone marrow production, whereas thrombocytopenia with large platelets is more likely to be caused by peripheral destruction or consumption of platelets with the bone marrow responding by increasing platelet production.

The size may also give a hint to cause - In reactive thrombocytosis (infection or inflammation) the platelets are usually of normal size whereas when thrombocytosis is a feature of a myeloproliferative disorder (chronic myeloid leukaemia, essential thrombocythaemia or polycythaemia vera) platelet size is generally increased and some giant platelets are present.

Your doctor may ask for bone marrow evaluation.

Wish you well.

Let me know if you want me to explain anything in more detail. If you feel the need to click either " Bad service" or "Helped a little", please stop and reply via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to explain more on the specific concern.

Good luck