Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

I am getting frequent soft bowel movements. There is no pain

I am getting frequent soft bowel movements. There is no pain but I do have alot of gas when I go. I also have an umbilical hernia. Can this be the cause?
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How long are you having this symptom? Do you see any blood or mucus in it? Any change in diet or activities? Does it have odor? How big is your hernia? Do you feel pain when you press in there? Any abdominal distention, nausea, vomiting, fever?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The symptom started about 2 months ago. There was some blood last month but I believe it was from a hemorroid. I retired about 3yrs ago and I don't do any activities at all. The stool smells like stool. My hernia is pretty large, I don't feel any pain when I press it. Sometimes I feel bloated but no nausea, vomiting or fever.

Thanks for the information.

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. Based on your description, you seem to have change in bowel habits for two months without any other associated symptoms. First you have to understand that bowel habits do change overtime, but commonly involve factors can be increase intake of fruits and vegetables, increase mobility, and increase water intake. Beside these common factors, some medical problems such as irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion, gastrointestinal infection, tumor can also cause change in bowel habits. Since you are having this symptom for a while with no other associated symptoms, it sounds like a benign problem, but you must visit your doctor for proper investigation as you do you see any recovery. At this time, I don't see any active sign of hernia obstruction so I do not suspect it to be related with hernia. However, you should get a surgeon opinion about your hernia repair as it is very big because large hernia is associated with higher risk of obstruction.

Please let me know if you have any other question for me.