Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice

Hello good evening. I have a long time problem with gastritis.

Hello good evening. I have a long time problem with gastritis. Currently i am 36 years old and have had problems with gastritis since I was 17. Recently the problems have grown. I was used to taking either Zantac 150 twice a day or 1 omeprazole 20mg once every two or three days to control the acid and reflux. Since the last month, ive been having at night sever acid reflux. I changed after suggested by the Dr. in at my workplace and started taking NEXIUM 20mg once a day. The last few days I've had terrible acid reflux at night, had to eat and take some peptobismol and tons of water to stop the acid, i felt it all the way up to my throat, its terrible.

Today the same Doctor changed me to an omeprazole that has sodium bicarbonate cancelled the nexium and gave me Cinataprida ( i live in mexico, the medicine is called Rogastril).

He told me that there were two medicines that were better than omeprazole or esomeprazole (nexium). The first was dexlanzoprazole (dexivant) and the second he did not recall the name.

What should I do, i will probably go in the next couple of weeks to a gastroenterologo (specialist) to see if i might need an endoscopy.

How can i control the refulx to sleep well?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

After how many hrs do you sleep after taking dinner?
did you have the endoscopy done yet?
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

The treatment of GERD is use of proton pump inhibitor, h2 blockers, prokinetic drugs and antacids.The proton pump inhibitor are a good choice as they block the acid production in the stomach.

Apart from the medications, the life style changes also play a role in controlling the symptoms.You should take the food atleast 3hrs before going to bed and do not lie on bed just after taking food.

You should also eat smaller meals and avoid tight fitting clothes and smoking.The food that trigger heartburn like spicy, caffeine, alcohol should be avoided as well.The elevation of head end of the bed may also be done as it may also help in symptoms.

If the symptoms are still not getting controlled after all measures and drugs then the surgical options like fundoplication may be tried.

Here is the link for more information

lifestyle changes and drugs for GERD

Let me know if you need any more information

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello thank you for the quick answer, i havent had yet an endoscopy, normally i go to sleep around 1.5 to 2 hours after dinner, and I have been watching carefully what i eat. Today ill see what happens i havent had anything that will irritate my stomach and i had dinner around 2.5 hours ago.

Ill check your recommendations :), i was just wondering how to relieve the symptoms if they occur.

thanks ivan
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

If the symptoms still recur then the elvation of the head end of the bed may be tried as it will help in avoiding reflux to esophagus and the simultaneous use of prokinetic drugs like metoclopramide will also help in relieving the symptoms.

Also going to bed 3 hrs after the dinner help in emptying the stomach and lessening the reflux and such smptoms.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice