Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care

My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease recently and

My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease recently and today the doctor called her and said that her bone density test was OK but she has high cooper in her blood.

What are the symptoms for this and what is the remedy? Is it dangerous?
Greetings from New York, this is Dr. Jerry E. I'm so glad you asked this question, let me give you some medical information now.

Having high amounts of copper in blood usually isn't too much to be concerned about. Read on..
The reason for this is that copper and imbalances related to it have such a profound impact on the central nervous system. The psychiatric implications of copper imbalance are tremendous, even if copper did not affect other body systems. We regularly work with every known psychological and psychiatric condition and most of these individuals improve when copper is balanced in the body.

The overall effect of copper appears to be to enhance all emotional states in a human being. copper stimulates the diencephalons or old brain. Zinc is needed for the new brain or cortex. This brain is associated with the “higher emotions” such as reasoning, compassion and love.

When an imbalance between these exists, the person tends to revert to the use of the old brain, also called the animal brain or emotional brain. This can lead to a tendency for every possible emotional condition affecting human beings.

Nervous system dysfunctions. We have seen improvement in 20 or 30 different mental and emotional conditions ranging from moderate to suicidal depression and anxiety to violence, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder, phobias, Tourette’s syndrome and schizophrenia. Others that respond amazingly well to balancing copper include epilepsy, ADD, ADHD, autism, delayed mental or emotional development and many others.

Panic attacks, migraines, spaciness, brain fog, mind racing, insomnia, nervousness, irritability and others also often involve copper.

Follow these steps to lower copper levels-

1. Reduce exposure to sources of copper.Common sources include copper intra-uterine devices or IUDs, swimming in pools, vegetarian diets and high copper foods such as nuts, seeds, and avocado.

2. Diet is critical. The diet must contain seventy to eighty percent cooked vegetables, not raw ones. Also needed is healthful animal protein daily, and some whole grain rice and corn, if these can be tolerated well.

For a recommended diet, see the document Slow Oxidizer Diet. This diet is appropriate for most of those with copper imbalance, though not all. A small number of people are fast oxidizers. They must have much more fat and oil in their diets, and less protein at times.

Equally important, the diet must be as low as possible in sweets, fruits and sugars as possible. These foods, along with all stimulants, stress the adrenal glands and tend to make copper imbalance worse. Stimulants include sugars, caffeine and food additives such as MSG, aspartame and other excitotoxins in the diet. Many other food chemicals and additives, however, also stress the body and are not helpful for copper imbalance. Vegetarian diets tend to aggravate copper imbalance badly. Wheat and refined flour products are also not helpful at all. These are some of the most important dietary considerations, especially for slow oxidizers.

3. Lifestyle modification. Most people with copper imbalance are very sensitive emotionally. Many also need to slow down, relax more and let go of anger and resentments. Some also need to make changes in their relationships, location, work and other important aspects of their lives so that they “live their truth” to a greater degree. Living a lie can be an important problem, in fact, with copper imbalance.

Reducing fear and stress. This is often very helpful and necessary to balance copper. Methods range from a change in location or work to meditation, more rest, counseling and other changes. See the section below on Attitudes, Spirituality Help Balance Copper for details about the only type of meditation I recommend.