Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS

I have poison ivy and the oozing has stopped, but my arm is

Customer Question

I have poison ivy and the oozing has stopped, but my arm is swolllen from he wirst to the shoulder - is this normal? I've taken Benhadryl and am now putting moisturizer on the affected areas?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 4 years ago.
Dear customer,

I am Dr.David and I’m happy to help with your question today. I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

When did this reaction from poison ivy?
Is there itching?
Burning sensation?
When did you took benadryl?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
poison ivy started one week ago. the itching is not bad any more but my arm feels heavy - took benhadryl for the past two nights
Expert:  Dr.David replied 4 years ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

It seems that you have got hyper sensitivity reaction & infection from poison ivy.It is like an allergic reaction.Once the rash begins,they will usually clear on its own by 14-21 days.Following will help you greatly:

-Take tab.Zyrtec.It contains Cetirizine & is a second-generation antihistamine.

-Apply cream containing hydrocortisone.If the area is large then apply Calamine lotion.This will reduce the rashes & itching.

-As you have swelling from wrist to shoulder,you need to take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter.

-If the blisters are developed,compresses with cool water or Burow's solution can help dry ooze faster.Dissolve 1 packet of burow solution in 1 pint of water. Soak a soft clean cloth in it. Gently wring out the cloth and apply for 15-20 minutes. Change or refresh the cloth and solution every 2-3 hours.All these medications are available at your counter without any prescription.

If the rash is severe, is on the face or genitals, or covers more than 20% of the body or symptoms are not relieved with these medications,then you need examination from your doctor & then treatment with prescription medication will be required.Antibiotics may be required accordingly.

Hope this helped.

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question. Please be sure to rate my answer when our correspondence is complete

Kind Regards-