Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care

About once a month for the past year or so, I have experienced

About once a month for the past year or so, I have experienced the following symptoms in this order: nausea, stuffy nose turning into a runny nose, freezeing cold chills, abdominal pain, lower abdominal pain, vomiting. The symptoms may last from five hours to twelve hours. This phenomenon is incapacitating. What could it be? I thought for a bit it was a shrimp allergy but I had it again last night and had not eaten shrimp.
Greetings from New York, this is Dr. Jerry E. I'm so glad you asked this question, let me give you some medical information now.

You should consult a physician to rule out a serious condition, such as angina. Having angina means you have an increased risk of having a heart attack.

I suspect you have some form of viral gastroenteritis. Which is commonly referred to as a viral stomach flu. To treat this at home-
  • Initially, adults should eat ice chips and clear, noncaffeinated, nondairy liquids such as Gatorade, ginger ale, fruit juices, and Kool-Aid or other commercial drink mixes.

• After 24 hours of fluid diet without vomiting, begin a soft-bland solid diet such as the BRAT diet.
Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know from my annual physical that I don't have angina.

I wonder why I would have viral gastroenteritis on a regular basis about once a month. Also I never have diarrhea and always have a stuffy runny nose with this condition. I think the treatment would work but I wonder about the cause of the symptoms. It is so regular and onsets in the evening.

Diarrhea may not be present in all strains of the condition. The reason you may have viral gastroenteritis so frequently is that while your body alleviates the symptoms of the infection, it doe not cure the virus. As soon as your immune system becomes weak again, the virus reactivates.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think my immune system is not weak, I don't take any medications, take supplements, exercise daily and don't have any medical conditions usually experienced by people my age (74). Is there a way to eliminate the virus if it is lurking? Thanks for your help.

I apologize, I don't think I worded that appropriately. I didn't mean to suggest you have a weak immune system. I meant that your immune system experiences bouts of weakness, depending on your level of stress, medical conditions and other factors. During these times it is more susceptible to this type of viral exposure.
Treatment of condition-

The most important of treating viral gastroenteritis in children and adults is to prevent severe loss of fluids (dehydration). This treatment should begin at home. Your physician may give you specific instructions about what kinds of fluid to give. CDC recommends that families with infants and young children keep a supply of oral rehydration solution (ORS) at home at all times and use the solution when diarrhea first occurs in the child. ORS is available at pharmacies without a prescription. Follow the written directions on the ORS package, and use clean or boiled water. Medications, including antibiotics (which have no effect on viruses) and other treatments, should be avoided unless specifically recommended by a physician.

Prevent condition from reoccuring-

Persons can reduce their chance of getting infected by frequent handwashing, prompt disinfection of contaminated surfaces with household chlorine bleach-based cleaners, and prompt washing of soiled articles of clothing. If food or water is thought to be contaminated, it should be avoided. Rotavirus gastroenteritis can also be prevented by vaccines.

vaccine for viral gastroenteritis-

Currently there are two licensed rotavirus vaccines available that protect against severe diarrhea from rotavirus infection in infants and young children. These vaccines are given to children in their first year of life with other childhood vaccines

Is there anything else I can tell you about this virus or your health concerns?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, thanks for your help.
You're welcome. Please be kind enough to click accept to ensure that I get credit for my answer. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Where is the "Accept" button? Thx.

The "accept button" is green and should be at the bottom of the question window!