Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care
13500761

Wht else can i do for pain relief?

Customer Question

Wht else can i do for pain relief?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 2 years ago.
What kind of pain do you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Neck pain, and shoulder pain, back and top of head, I had a anterior cervical discectomy with fusion c4-5 jan 2011

had good pain relief for abotu 6 months

been having unbearable pain last 3 months. been taking oxycodone 3 times a day, ibuprofen 3 times a day, skelaxin 3 times a day. physical theray 2 times a week(exercises, with tens, dry nedling), rest, ice, , heat,

When was the last time you discussed your pain with your primary care doctor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
about a week ago, they gave me oxycodone 1-2 every 6 hours, skelaxin,, ibuprofen,
What have you been diagnosed with as the cause of your pain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, and recently cervical spondlysis.

Have you tried physical therapy or acupuncture?

For degenerative disc disease, you may want to try:

Acupuncture: Developed in China, acupuncture uses very fine needles—and no medication—to treat your pain. Practitioners believe that you have an energy force called your Chi (it can also be spelled Qi, but both forms are pronounced "chee"). When this force is blocked, you can develop physical illness, such as back pain. Therefore, you need to free up your body's Chi channels, which practitioners call your meridians. Acupuncture works to restore a healthy, energetic flow of Chi.

Acupuncture needles are almost as thin as strands of hair. Based on your symptoms and exact diagnosis, a practitioner will insert the needles; you'll most likely have multiple needles inserted during one session. The practitioner will target precise points in your body's meridians, and the needles will be left in for 20 to 40 minutes. It's been suggested that acupuncture needles cause your body to release certain neurochemicals, such as endorphins or serotonin, and they help in the healing process.

Herbal Remedies: Before trying any herbal remedies, do your research and talk to your doctor. There may be side effects that you're unaware of—an herbal remedy could interfere with a prescribed medicine you're taking, for example. Some herbal remedies you may want to consider for degenerative disc disease are:

• Devil's Claw: Devil's claw comes from southern Africa, where it has been used for centuries to treat fever, arthritis, and gastrointestinal problems. It works as an anti-inflammatory. Today, it's used for conditions that cause inflammation and pain, like degenerative disc disease. You can take it in a capsule.
  • SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine): It's been suggested that SAMe is useful for the age-related "wear and tear" spinal conditions, such as osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease. As a bonus, there have been several studies that show it's also good for treating depression. (People suffering from chronic pain can become depressed because of how the pain changes their lives. Their chronic condition can also affect their body's nervous system chemistry, leading to a chemical imbalance and perhaps depression.)
  • White Willow Bark: The white willow led to the development of aspirin in Europe. If you don't want to take the synthetic version (aspirin can irritate the stomach), use white willow bark. It's for conditions that cause pain or inflammation, like degenerative disc disease. It also provides relief for acute back pain.

Prolotherapy: Some patients have tried this treatment and found that it works to reduce their pain from degenerative disc disease. Proponents of prolotherapy explain that one of the problems associated with DDD is weak ligaments and tendons. Strong, supportive ligaments and tendons are essential in your spine because they help maintain stability. After your discs start to degenerate, essentially weakening your spine, your ligaments and tendons have to work extra hard to support your back. Over time, though, they can degenerate, too; they can wear out or even tear. This leaves your intervertebral discs without the support they need.

Prolotherapy attempts to stimulate growth of new ligament and tendon tissues. Using an injection of a "proliferant" (a term used by prolotherapists—it's a mild irritant solution), prolotherapy is supposed to kick-start the body's healing process. The proliferant causes inflammation, which tells the body to start healing itself by generating new tissue.

A prolotherapy injection goes right into the problem ligaments and tendons, and it takes several rounds of injections (and time) to experience the effects. If you think prolotherapy may be an option for you, talk to your doctor.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have tried pyscal therapy, been goign for the last 2.5 months, 2 times a week

Try the above treatments
Do you have any other questions regarding this? if not- Please click on ACCEPT so that I get answer credit. or Ask more if needed
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience: Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
out of prolotherapy and accupuncture which would be better? before i had my acdf i had tried many things, and from past experiencce, none worked, im up for about anything, worried i may jsut have to have surgery again. But would more than likely be level 3-4. which i know the higher up in neck the more risky.
In your case, I would try acupuncture first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried accupuncture didnt work

Okay, you should try Prolotherapy then: Some patients have tried this treatment and found that it works to reduce their pain from degenerative disc disease. Proponents of prolotherapy explain that one of the problems associated with DDD is weak ligaments and tendons. Strong, supportive ligaments and tendons are essential in your spine because they help maintain stability. After your discs start to degenerate, essentially weakening your spine, your ligaments and tendons have to work extra hard to support your back. Over time, though, they can degenerate, too; they can wear out or even tear. This leaves your intervertebral discs without the support they need.

Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i went to dr other day and she suspects i have occipital neuraligia. my friend wants me to ask what can be doenn for ear pain, she says that there is drainage, dryed ear wax, and more recently blood coming from ear.