Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I have large hematomas in both lower legs after a fall. They

Customer Question

I have large hematomas in both lower legs after a fall. They are at the dark purple stage and blood has also pooled in the ankles. I need to fly (2 x 4 hours) in about 10 days for work. Counter indications ? I bruise very easily. thank you in advance
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How long are you having these hematoma? Do you have any pain, difficulty in walking, or warm to touch feeling? Is there any increase in the size of hematoma?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Shah

I fell off my stepladder last Friday, so 7 days ago. Hematomas developed over the next couple of days. They are not increasing in size. They are not warm to the touch. It is painful when I walk if my feet hit the ground hard (it is painful to run, for example).

Marie

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the information. I am sorry to know about your symptoms. Based on your description, you seem to have a large hematoma in your both legs without any other associated symptoms such as increase in size, severe pain/throbbing, or warn to touch. Overall it indicates that your hematoma is not infected at this point. However, if your hematoma is large enough to put pressure on the vascular structures in your leg, then drainage is required. Asymptomatic smaller hematoma subside on its own over several weeks, but larger hematoma may take little longer. At this time, my concern is to make sure that it is not compressing any vascular structure in your leg. Usually there is not much problem with smaller hematoma and air travel, but for larger hematoma physician assessment is necessary. Moreover, those who travel frequently, always have a risk of blood clots. I am sure you must be using all those tips to decrease the risk of blood clots as you travel frequently. Thus, it would be much safer to see your doctor now for proper evaluation as you have large hematoma. If everything is fine, then your hematoma will subside on its own over several weeks.

Please let me know if you have any other questions for me.

Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Shah. Your detailed answer confirms that there is a need to see my MD and I will try to make an appointment on Monday.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome!
Thanks for visiting justanswer.