Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care
13500761

i have a cerbial hurniation and I havent been to the dr in

i have a cerbial hurniation and I havent been to the dr in a few years. I keep getting bad headaches and sometimes lose all feeling of one side of body they told me when the hole reache 10mm they would do surgery. in 2007 it was 7.5mm if i dont go and have the surgery what are the damages that it can cause or even death????
Brain herniation is a medical emergency. The goal of treatment is to save the patient's life. To help reverse or prevent a brain herniation, the medical team will treat increased swelling and pressure in the brain. Treatment may involve: Placing a drain into the brain to help remove fluid Corticosteroids, such as dexamethasone, especially if there is a brain tumor, to reduce swelling Medications that remove fluid from the body, such as mannitol or other diuretics, which reduce pressure inside the skull Placing a tube in the airway (endotracheal intubation) and increasing the breathing rate to reduce the levels of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the blood Removing blood or blood clots if they are raising pressure inside the skull and causing herniation
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The actual term is Tonsillar Ectopia without evidince of Cervical syrinx. History Of cerbrial hurniation. Sorry I don't know if that is the same but I do know they said i had a cerbrial hurrniation.. Is this dangerous as well? If I have the procedure done what exactly are they going to do? Please will You help me understand all this??

Any condition associated with a cerebral herniation is dangerous. Most likely, a drain will have to be placed into the brain to drain harmful fluids. Please seek medical attention immediately as if this is left untreated, it could be fatal!
<b>Please click on ACCEPT so that I get answer credit. Ask more if needed. Positive feedback the most appreciated. Bonuses the most helpful, especially for multiple answers and long chats. Answers are for educational purposes only. All the best!</b>