Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care
13500761

I have benign postural vertigo. Just wondering what the effects

I have benign postural vertigo. Just wondering what the effects of flying would be. Probably a 12 hour flight, 7 hour flight, 4 hour flight and 5 hour flight. This would be over about 7 weeks. I manage the vertigo with just getting up slowly and don't take any medications. I occasionally do the side to side exercises. If I go up a lift, it stirs it up for about a week. That's just up one level. I do get tinnitis very mildly too. I'm 42 years of age. My GP diagnosed it a few years ago. Over a few years (winter time) I kept getting bad middle ear infections and I remember being particularly sick with the middle ear infections (both ears at one stage) and needed lots of strong antibiotics. I find when I get up and down a lot just doing day to day jobs I find my eyes get very tired (? with the funny eye movements) and need to have a rest. Otherwise I feel the vertigo gets worse when I am particularly tired. I do have 4 girls - 5, 8, 9 and 10 years of age.
Do you think flying would make it worse and have more long term problems with my ears?I don't won't to risk my health too much. What do you think? I wouldn't want to be sick while being away and spoil things for others going. I've got a gut feeling I would be better not to go - very mixed feelings. Please help!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 2 years ago.
I would not suggest flying. One flight could leave long lasting effects. The change in pressure could cause you extended periods of dizziness and nausea, to last even after the airplane has landed. Further damage to the equilibrium is also possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply - when you say further damage to the equilibrium is possible, does that mean that the vertigo feeling could be worse even after the different flights and return home? I'm not surprised with your reply. Thank you - even though I hoped you'd say it wouldn't have any effect, my gut feeling was that it would. If I go up a lift - one level - and that affects me, well I guess the pressure in a jet would be a lot greater change. Thanks again
Yes, The further damage to the equilibrium could cause the vertigo feeling to be worse even after the different flights and returning home.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I might rethink the thought of flying. I don't want any more health problems. Thank you for your help. Is there any thing else I can do to help prevent the vertigo feeling - as an ongoing thing. Or just do as I am and try and not do the things that stir it up? Is that the best option?
One patient suggested to gargle with listerene often as this will help drain the fluid from the ear. Also, be sure to do head exercises/ movements to alleviate the stress in the neck.
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience: Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care