Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Resident, Family Medicine, American Doc, 5 yrs pre-hospital Emergency Care

I have a headache in the back of my head that comes and goes with pressure. It becomes re

I have a headache in the back of my head that comes and goes with pressure. It becomes really bad during sex right before I climax. It feel like what I would consider a poped blood vessel or perhaps signs of an early stroke. It's always in the same spot and lingures for weeks getting worse when I am under strain.
Greetings from New York, this is Dr. Jerry E. I'm so glad you asked this question, let me give you some medical information now.
Have you consulted a neurolgist?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I have not. I thought it might be easy to diagnos because it is always in the same spot in the back of my head and comes and goes with pressure. For the most part it's mild, and escalates the most when I have sex or masturbate the point it makes me dizzy if I continue. Of coarse I stop at that point.
  1. Temporal Arteritis
  2. The occipital arteries run up the back of the head, and are often affected in temporal arteritis. As the occipital arteries lie right next to the greater occipital nerve, temporal arteritis can cause a "headache back of head".

3. Vertebral Artery Dissection
  4. This may present with a sudden severe back of head headache.

Vertebral artery dissection is a cause of a stroke. The best way to distinguish vertebral artery dissection from cervicogenic headache is to listen to the onset of pain.

In dissection it is usually much more rapid - onset over seconds.

In cervicogenic there will usually have been a smaller amount of pain in the preceding months or years.

If your doctor considers a diagnosis of Vertebral Artery Dissection this is ruled out using an MRI scan.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The pain linguires mildly, just enough to let me know it's there. It's only when I put my body under strain that it ratches up, and when it does it happens in seconds. I immediately have to stop what I am doing and lay down while the throbing slowly dissipates over hours
When I was 17 yrs old I was lifting weights at my High School and during one of my reps a poping sound came from that same spot and an instant headache just like this one cam on in seconds. Since the injury this has happened maybe 5 times, but this time it has been around for 3 weeks and does not seem to be dissipating.
If I was to guess I would say this headache still is a result from that injury. I would best describe the original injury like lifting weights and not breathing out during the reps and as a result something blew or poped in my head. What do you think about the previous injury and this?
You may have a cervicogenic headache (cervic = neck, genic = caused by).

The classic cervicogenic headache causes a pain in the back of the head -

Most people with cervicogenic headache will have previously injured their neck (a whiplash injury is typical).

Other people will have had minor injuries (often forgotten) or adopt postures or habits that contribute to poor posture, which can predispose to pain.

Cervicogenic headache is very common.
However, I do not think your previous injury is related to your headache.