Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

MY LEFT EAR HAS SWELLING IN THE CARTILAGE THAT CURVES INSIDE

MY LEFT EAR HAS SWELLING IN THE CARTILAGE THAT CURVES INSIDE THE EAR.
THERE IS NO PAIN BUT A BIG SOFT BUMP.
\WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.

I am an ENT and can help you on this.

How long have you had this?

Is the swelling inside the ear canal, or outside?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

4 months

just as the cartilage curves inside the ear

it feels like a soft bump

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
no answer received

I can understand your concern.

The most likely cause for this is what is called a 'Benign Cystic Chondromalacia' or 'Auricular pseudocyst'.

Although this may sound like a big word, it is actually a benign condition of unknown cause in which a small part of the cartilage of the ear degenerates producing a serous fluid which collects forming the cyst.

Treatment is simple, aspiration with a needle is sufficient for this though sometimes repeated aspiration is necessary.

Another possibility is 'Traumatic seroma' which is a serous filled cyst which forms after some trauma to the ear - there may have been slight trauma which you have forgotten about now and which gave rise to this.

The third possibility, though it is not so likely in the area you have indicated, is Epidermal cyst or sebaceous cyst, which forms from blocked sebaceous glands - sebaceous cysts form in the lobule or in the back of the ear where the ear is attached to the scalp, and not so much on the face of the pinna.

These three conditions are most likely - among these I would say Auricular Pseudocyst is the most likely.

Note down these conditions and show your doctor. If your primary care physician seems uncertain with these diagnoses then show an ENT. You will usually need only aspiration for this, though sebaceous cysts need to be excised.

Hope this clears up your issue.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

If my answer has helped you, please click on a four or five star rating, or an 'excellent/good service' rating, depending on what is displayed for you. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credit for my work. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

If you are not yet satisfied, do not go for a lower rating, instead click on the 'continue conversation' button and specify what you feel was left unanswered, I am sure I can help you further.
With regards,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can i aspirate myself

Sorry for the delay in answering as I was in the hospital.

No, you must not aspirate itself.

Sterility is very important here - this is because if any bacteria enter into this fluid, it will take hold very fast and infect the cartilage of the ear - this can have very serious consequences as cartilage infection is difficult to cure and can destroy your ear and also lead to years of pain and suffering.

Also, you may injure the cartilage if you try it.

Third is that it can be very painful if you try yourself.

Go to the doctor. It is a simple office procedure taking a few minutes only. Besides, you also need a clinical diagnosis.

Take care - dont do it yourself - see the doctor for a simple and easy cure.

With regards,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.