Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I have had anal/rectal throbbing pain on left side of anus

I have had anal/rectal throbbing pain on left side of anus and some discharge. My GP said that I have an anal fissure that is at 3 o'clock, not on midline. I have read that there could be underlying problems if anal fissure is off midline. I have no blood in stool, no abdominal pain. I get NO pain with a bowel movement, which I thought happens with fissures.
I do tend to worry and I am concerned about anal, rectal, colon cancer. I have no family history.
Thoughts? Possibly cancer?

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Male
Person's Age: 37
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How long are you having this pain? Do you feel any rectal pressure, change in bowel movements, blood in stool, wt. loss, anorexia, tiredness? Did you get any investigation to rule out such things? What kind of doctor are you visiting now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Pain/discharge about 2 weeks. No pressure, no change, no blood in stool no weight loss, no anorexia, no tiredness.
Visiting general practioner and she did a digital rectal exam
Thank you for the information.
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.
Based on your description, you don't seem to have typical symptoms of colon/rectal cancer at this time. Although many people are asymptomatic in the early phase of disease, but they become symptomatic overtime. A person with cancer would typically present with change in bowel, blood in stool, abdomen pain, unexplained wt. loss, tiredness, and a feeling of incomplete empty. Moreover, about 90% of colon cancer is diagnosed in people over 50. Additionally, the risk of colon cancer is higher in those with family/personal history of colon cancer, sedentary life style, low fiber diet, inflammatory bowel disease, obesity etc. Thus, the odds of having colon cancer is very low in your case. If you want to get it investigated, then you can request to have stool test and colonoscopy to rule out such possibilities.

Please let me know if you have any other question for me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do the symptoms sound consistent with anal fissure?
Yes, anal fissure can present with many symptoms depending upon the severity and anal pain and discomfort is very common in this condition. Moreover, you have been evaluated and diagnosed by your GP which is much reassuring because it is a clinical diagnosis made after proper examination.