Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience

scaly skin between toes that is not red, moist, or itchy..

Customer Question

scaly skin between toes that is not red, moist, or itchy.. hard, thick and dry. between 4th and 5th toe and on top of 3rd/4th. not painful at all unless touched, then feel pain that goes through my foot. I have no idea what this is. I had athletes foot a few times when I was younger and it is nothing like that. been here for a number of months now. in the grand scheme of things lately...not a big deal but it hurts like mad if I accidently bump it or forget about it and tuck my feet under me. getting worse pain from it this week. what the heck.....ideas?
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
not online
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 4 years ago.

could you please post a picture here of the scaly skin?

it would help me in better diagnosis
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried to take a picture but I couldn't get it to show up with my cell phone. it is silvery in color
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was able to get some pictures finally but can't get them to post now. the spot between my 4th and 5th toe is round and silver and I can see in the picture that it is red right around it (I can't see from that angle usually). that was the first place the scaly patch started. the area over my 3rd and 4th toe is barely visible it is silvery and looks more like the other spot did at first. I don't know if that helps. I'll keep trying to send you the pics
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
best I could do
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 4 years ago.
This is probably secondary to a fungal infection/Dermatophyte infection caused by Trichophyton,Microsporium or Dermatophyton species of fungii where silvery scales may be seen..You probably need to get examination for fungii and hyphae done by scraping off some of the scales and examining under the microscope after preparation.Use of oral and local antifungal drugs like Ketoconazole /Itraconazole orally and Clotrimazole/Miconazole locally.Keeping the area dry by using cotton socks and airy shoes ,using dusting powder will help.The treatment will need to be continued for 3 weeks after full recovery to prevent recurrence.Diabetes and other disease which reduce immunity need to be ruled out.Any secondary infection will need antibiotics.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so, isn't that all just a fancy way of saying athlete's foot...?
It is a type of Athlete's Foot but not due to the usual fungus normally involved.The problem and therapy would probably be the same,though you may need good oral antifungal drugs.