Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What do I do if a fleet glycerin suppository doesnt work?

Customer Question

What do I do if a fleet glycerin suppository doesn't work?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

How long have you been constipated?

RickMD :

Has this happened to you before?

RickMD :

What else have you tried?

RickMD :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
I look forward to your response so that we can figure out what you should do next to get things going again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
only one day constipated. I take lisinopril for high bp and klonopin for anxiety
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can you please respond?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
am i supposed to check email or wait here? hello? my bp is high
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
should i go to e.r.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
One day of constipation usually does not warrant a trip to the ER. It would only be if there is severe pain associated with the constipation that it may be appropriate to be seen in the ER, but it would be appropriate to be seen for severe abdominal pain, even if not constipated. The elevated BP only warrants an ER visit if it is severely elevated, e.g., above 240/120.

There are several over the counter options to try to relieve constipation when a glycerin suppository has not been effective. An irritant laxative, such as Dulcolax, is available in both suppository and oral forms. The suppository tends to work more quickly, but the oral form tends to be more effective. Another option is to use milk of magnesia or Mag citrate. For long-term constipation, a fiber laxative, such as Metamucil and many others, is preferable, but since a fiber laxative will usually take a few days to work, it is not as good an option for short-term relief of constipation. A stool softener, such as Colace, is another option for long-term management.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, but will the suppository that didnt work hurt me internally? What does it do in there? if not making me go?
No, the glycerin suppository will not hurt you. The heat of the body will cause the material to soften and spread though the rectum and the material will ultimately come out when you finally have a bowel movement.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should i drink lots of water? Take more klonopin? Can I overdose on klonopin if I take too many? I take four 1mg tabs a day usually but i am having a panic attack.
Drinking plenty of water is important for long-term management of constipation, but is not as helpful for immediate relief of constipation. Klonopin will not help constipation, although it may be helpful for a panic attack. The 4 mg per day is the maximum recommended dose of Klonopin for panic attacks, although higher doses are sometimes used for control of seizures. If this dose is not working, then there should be consideration of other treatment options, either in addition to or in place of the Klonopin.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. so im gonna be ok then? what happens if I take too much klonopin?
There is nothing in what you have relayed that indicates otherwise, so yes, it appears that you will be OK.

An excessive amount of Klonopin can cause excessive drowsiness, or impair brain functioning, possibly causing confusion, disorientation, or impairment of motor function, such as driving a car. The other risk of taking extra doses of Klonopin is that you will run out of the medicine early, and if done too often, you may run out so early that you may have withdrawal symptoms before the medicine can be refilled.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok so im feeling better anxiety wise but have mild discomfort in bowels. I usually poop everyday at least once. i'll try another product that you suggested. should i wait another day?
You can easily wait another day, and possible longer, as long as the discomfort remains mild. It can take a few days to try the various options noted above.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you. I feel better. thank you. I know I have an anxiety disorder and other people may not have reacted as I did. I will talk with my doctor and therapist about this episode at my next visit. I havn't had a panic attack in a long time. Almost 2 years. Thank you. I feel better now. I'm glad I found this website. I almost went to e.r. Im ok now.
I'm glad that you are feeling better. We are always glad to help people when possible over the internet.

If I can provide any further assistance in he future, please let me know.

Please remember to rate the answer positively, so that I can be compensated for answering your questions.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.