Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

What causes a person to hoard things?

What causes a person to hoard things?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Hording has not yet been given it's own diagnosis but it has been found to be much more common in people with underlying psychiatric disorders.

Customer:

Dr. Rick I haven't received an answer to my question.

RickMD :

I type fast.......but not that fast!

Customer:

sorry

RickMD :

:)

RickMD :

Many times people who are horders are found to have issues with alcohol dependence, ADHD, depression, anxiety or obsessive-compulsive disorder.

RickMD :

If you have someone you are concerned about I would suggest an on site evaluation by a mental health team who deals with this sort of problem.

Customer:

My guy friend is 78 and has always hung onto things. His garage is full, the barn is full, the house is full. Needless to say he is not married. But I am just curious

RickMD :

I will tell you, however, that this is a very, very difficult issue to successfully treat. It usually requires a combination of psychotherapy and medications

RickMD :

Sounds like a hording problem to me.......

Customer:

I understand. He says counseling is stupid.

RickMD :

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester Mn has special expertise with cases like your friend but there should be folks who can help in most large cities.

RickMD :

That is one of the problem....they don't see that there is any problem.

RickMD :

But just try going over to his house with a dumpster and start throwing out old junk and you will quickly see how impossible it is for him to part with all those great magazines from 1960

RickMD :

Are you still there?

RickMD :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Have a good day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Rick, sorry to cut you off on Thursday but had to run. Thank you for your time. You have given me some ideas that will help take a direction. I'm starting to think he is depressed. He says he's anxious to die so he can see what the "other side" is like. I told him that once he sees the other side there was no coming back. He says he's ready to move on. Now by the same token he takes care of his health and is going to have his pacemaker changed in Sept. I don't believe he is "really" ready to cross over. He is a puzzle but I do enjoy his company. Don't think I'm a masochist. I believe in counseling and recommend it to everyone.

Again thank you for your time and again I'm sorry I went offline so quickly on Thursday.
No problem :)

I hope you are able to help your friend feel better and, who knows, maybe even get him to clean out some of the stuff that is piled up.

Let me know if I can do anything else to help