Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

i have a question regarding Lyme disease. 11 days ago I was

i have a question regarding Lyme disease. 11 days ago I was bitten by a tick while visiting the Netherlands. I know the tick bite occurred sometime Friday between 5pm-9pm when I removed it so it was on me for a short time. I removed it with tweezers and it came off very easily. It was small, black and not engorged. The bite site seemed to heal fine until Monday (3 days later) I noticed it looked like it was raised and was developing a rash. By the next morning it was about the size of a dime (no bullseye rash and no other symptoms). So i immediately went to the Dr who said it wasn't Lyme but was a localized infection from there being tick legs remaining in the skin. She prescribed me 10 days on Doxycycline just in case since we were in an endemic area and said the parts would expel on their own over the next few days. She did say I was NOT at risk for developing Lyme disease from this. So I am on 100mg of Doxycycline 2x a day and am on day 7 of it with 3 days left to go. My question is, I have been experiencing some headaches and sore throat upon returning from my trip 3 days ago. Should I be concerned that this could still be a Lyme infection? It is rather dry here in california and I have been known to have dry throat and allergies often. Just don't know if I need to be concerned. The bite site is pretty much gone and the rash subsided within a day or two of the antibiotics.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

As a doctor and also a person who has had lymes disease myelf (part of the joys in living next to a National Forest) I can tell you that I agree with your doctor. It is very unlikely that you have contracted lymes disease

RickMD :

The ten day course of doxycycline will help with the local skin infection, as it seems that it already has, but it would not be enough therapy to do anything about lymes disease. That treatment requires 28 days of antibiotics.......not that you need it though :)

Customer:

So these symtpoms I am experiencing are not related to the tick? Am I on the right treatment? I am sorry to hear you had Lyme! there is so much contradicting info out there that Lyme is Incurable and does not respond to antibiotics or needs very long term antibiotics.

RickMD :

Why do you have a headache or mild sore throat? It could be from a bazillion reasons. Given what you have told me I would not attribute it to lymes nor would I feel that you have been infected with lymes.

Customer:

should I try to get on another 18 days of antibiotics?

Customer:

Oh ok. Thanks!!!

Customer:

I guess catching the tick very early makes me really fortunate!

RickMD :

I can tell you, from both my medical training and personal experience that lymes is curable :)

RickMD :

No. I do not think you need it. Of course, doxycycline is a fairly safe antibiotic and, if it would give you peace of mind, then by all means do a 28 day course of therapy.

RickMD :

Do I think you need to do this from a clinical standpoint? No......

Customer:

great to hear! My MD doesnt think I need any more treatment. Anything I should be on the lookout for?

RickMD :

But it probably wouldn't hurt you to do so.

RickMD :

No. I think you are gonna be OK. Nothing to worry about from what you have told me.

RickMD :

I hope you had a good trip with the exception of this evil tick ;)

Customer:

thank you thank you! Reassurance is priceless!!! Feel lucky to be able to discuss this with someone who knows a thing or two about this! ;)

RickMD :

My pleasure. You made me smile :)

Customer:

gracias XXXXX XXXXX merci mahalo...

Customer:

can breathe now

RickMD :

:)

RickMD :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

RickMD :

You are going to be just fine. I think your doctor is doing a very good job of taking care of this issue for you.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Have a good day!
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC