Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I have eye issues started last .ight. Right eye lots of floaters

Customer Question

I have eye issues started last .ight. Right eye lots of floaters appeared still there, now every so often I see sparks for lack of better explanation. Do I need to go go Er or can it wait till I find a eye dtr open tomorrow
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today. I am a retina specialist.

RickMD :

Are you available to chat?

RickMD :

How is your vision in your affected eye?

RickMD :

Do you see a curtain coming across your visual field from any direction?

RickMD :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

RickMD :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

RickMD :

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

RickMD :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

RickMD :

There is no need to go to the ER tonight as ER doc's don't have the training and equipment to evaluate your retina anyway.....

RickMD :

Hi. My system shows that you have just entered the chat room. If you can see this text please reply to me so I know you are there......

RickMD :

I cannot see anything that you are typing. Our chat system may not be working well at the moment. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD :

RickMD :

Are you available to chat?

RickMD :

RickMD :

RickMD :

RickMD :

RickMD :

RickMD :

RickMD :

RickMD :

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i am here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im not sure how to get back to the chat room so I'll reply here. My vision seems ok except for the large floater. I have had cataract surgery and this eye clouded back over and relasered (sp). Cataract surgery at a young age due to crohns disease and steriods use in 20s.
I'm sorry -- our chat system froze up and I couldn't communicate with you :(

I can see your posts now. If you've been able to read my response above, do you have any further questions for me? I will await your reply....

I just got your post. Yup. My sister has severe chrones dz and also ended up with cataracts in her 30's but is having great results with remicaid.

You will be OK from the standpoint of your new floaters and flashes of light. When you go for an exam make sure to see an ophthalmologist....optometrists really aren't trained to evaluate the peripheral retina.

Let me know if you have anything else you would like to ask me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you so muchfor your answers. !! Good luck to your sister, I had surgery 20 years ago for chrones and doing great, no reoccurences or medication.
My pleasure. I'm glad we could -- finally -- communicate with each other :)

My sister has had all the intestine removed that she can and still not have short bowel problems and was not doing well.....and then along came remicaide and now she is doing great. Her, and your, issues make me (almost) happy to have my typical American male gut :(

Have a good weekend and let me know if I can be of any further assistance