Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

do acid reflux make your stomach hurt

do acid reflux make your stomach hurt
Yes, acid reflux can cause stomach pain. The most common symptom of acid reflux is heartburn, but it also can present with pain in the chest or abdomen, that can radiate to the neck, back, or arms. It also can cause nausea or vomiting, sore throat, cough, or shortness of breath.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so what is best to help with the problem i know you cant give me medical but i would like to know what is good for the condition
The Nexium is one of the medicines that are the best at controlling acid reflux. If the starting dose is not sufficient, it may be necessary to take a higher dose. It also would be OK to supplement the Nexium with antacids. If the symptoms persist, there should be further evaluation to confirm whether the acid reflux is the sole problem. Certain acid irritation syndromes may also be associated with an infection of H. pylori, and it may be necessary to use antibiotics to kill the germ. There also is a medicine that promotes the movement of stomach contents downstream, but has a fair amount of side effects, so usually is avoided or used for a limited period of time. If acid reflux persists despite these interventions, it may be necessary to consider surgical interventions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know this week when i went to the doctor the did xray of my stomach and they say i didnt have a blocked but i was impacted in my bowel on my right side so i may have in fection
A plain x-ray is limited in what it can say about the gut, but it will detect if there is significant constipation or build up of material in the colon, such as is seen with an impaction. This can occur with infection, but usually is not, so does not make a diagnosis of an infection. Usually, this would improve with relief of the constipation or impaction, so using a laxative or a cleansing enema (such as a Fleet's enema) may help.