Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I jut need to know how long it takes for the herpes virus to

Customer Question

I jut need to know how long it takes for the herpes virus to show up after a sexual encounter? I do not have it myself.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Genital herpes (HSV type 2) does not progress to clinical outbreak in everyone who is exposed/infected.

RickMD :

In the cases where clinical outbreak does occur symptoms usually come out 2 to 20 days (but usually within a week) after the exposure from sex.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Can it stay dormant for 1 or 2 years

RickMD :

Herpes, once you are infected, stays dormant in your spinal canal for the rest of your life. So, the answer to your question is Yes.

RickMD :

Outbreaks come and go at unpredictable times for the lifetime of the patient.

Customer:

that is the first good answer so far, it causes me some distress but I needed to get the proper answer

RickMD :

Glad I could be of assistance :-)

RickMD :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer:

Thank you John McArthur

RickMD :

You are welcome, John

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Have a good day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am still concerned about a few things where this virus is concerned as to how do I protect myself as well as my friend.
I do not have the virus but she say's she does have it.

Quite a quandary.