Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience:  •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
66242556

What is the cause of night sweats?

What is the cause of night sweats?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Coachrobmd replied 2 years ago.

Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

The views expressed here are for educational purposes only and do not establish a physician-patient relationship. It is NOT intended to replace your own physician's advice or diagnosis. If this is an emergency, stop now and please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.

Coachrobmd :

Because I can NOT see, touch, speak with or examine you, nor do I have access to your complete medical history, labs, scans or medications, I will NOT be able to give you an exact diagnosis. If that's what you are expecting from me here, STOP READING NOW. Otherwise you may possibly give me a negative I BAD/POOR SERVICE rating, which is not helpful. There are limits to what can be done across the internet. PLEASE keep this in mind as you read my responses.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there? If so, NOW is the time to chime in so we can chat.

Coachrobmd :

Night sweats can be caused by:

Coachrobmd :

1. infections

Coachrobmd :

2. malaria

Coachrobmd :

3. TB

Coachrobmd :

4. lymphoma

Coachrobmd :

6. systemic inflammatory disorders

Coachrobmd :

7. parasite infections

Coachrobmd :

There are way too many for me to tell you what it is in YOU that's causing this obviously.

Coachrobmd :

Please realize this: I am limited to the information that I glean from your posts, as I can't see, talk to, or touch you. I can only give you my approach to the evaluation of your symptoms if you were in my office. That puts me at a disadvantage compared to your doctor who actually sees your body right there in the office. This is just the nature of advising across the internet. A specific diagnosis under these conditions is VERY difficult.

Coachrobmd :

Your post is much too brief for any definitive statements. If you were expecting a diagnosis, treatment and cure, please STOP reading this response and do NOT rate me poorly because I'm being honest.

Coachrobmd :

If you want more information, keep reading. Again, if you were expecting me to cure you from 1000 miles away on the basis of a seven work history with one symptom then STOP reading, do NOT rate this, and repost the question.

Coachrobmd :

Having said that:

Coachrobmd :

You should

Coachrobmd :

1. see the primary care physician (PCP) for a history and physical exam

Coachrobmd :

2. get him to feel for enlarged lymph nodes which can be biopsied if atypical

Coachrobmd :

3. a complete blood count (CBC) from blood

Coachrobmd :

4. erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) from blood

Coachrobmd :

5. basic metabolic profile (BMP) from blood

Coachrobmd :

6. Chest X Ray (CXR) to look for any unusual changes consistent with lymphoma, TB, or other diseases

Coachrobmd :

7. a Urinalysis (U/A) for Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) as a cause.

Coachrobmd :

This is the very best information I can provide for you with the background limited details you provided. Please keep in mind the significant hurdles I face: I cannot see you, examine you, see your labs, review your studies, get your complete medical/surgical or family history, or most important or all, SPEAK with you like your regular doctor can. If you expected a definitive diagnosis or treatment, I'm sorry if this disappoints you. There are simply too many limitations for that to happen over the internet. If that WAS what you were expecting, please do NOT give this a NEGATIVE rating by selecting BAD or POOR SERVICE (or clicking on ONE or TWO STARS). Kindly don't rate it and do ask me to find another expert to assist you. I'll refer you to someone else who may wish to go out on a limb with a very specific diagnosis/treatment. I cannot do that and maintain my integrity. Thank you!

Coachrobmd :

============= Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the urge to leave a NEGATIVE rating of "BAD" or "POOR" service (or ONE or TWO STARS, depending upon your screen)(EXCELLENT SERVICE is always best), please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. I will be happy to do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Selecting from the RIGHTMOST 2 faces/stars is how I receive compensation for all the years of training that went into assisting you today. It would be most appreciated.

Coachrobmd :

If you have ANY questions about what I wrote, please write back for clarification. I'm happy to continue working with you toward a resolution.

Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience: •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
You should also get a TB skin test. I forgot to mention that.

I have given you a thorough answer to your question, recommended tests, and how to treat your issues. I believe that is the best you can expect outside of an office visit with me. If I sent you to your doctor, please don't hold that against me. It was not because I had NO idea of a diagnosis; it was because I had too MANY and could not rule any out across the internet. Surely you can see that.

---------------

However, I noticed there is still no rating for my lengthy response (and also NO follow-up questions, which tells me you don't need any more assistance). Was that an oversight, or did you click GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE and it simply did not process properly (the site is having technical issues and this is a common problem)?

A. If it did NOT process: Can you PLEASE come back and simply write that you tried to leave a GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE rating, and my credit will get processed manually?

B. If you did NOT feel it merited a favorable rating: Was there something ELSE you wanted from me OTHER than a diagnosis/treatment without testing, a clinic visit with me, etc.? If so, would you mind posting it so that I might have a clearer idea how I can help you better? My goal is to answer your questions to your complete satisfaction (e.g. a GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE rating).

C. Finally, if you are one of the small % of people who never intended to pay (I'm pretty sure you don't do that in your local pharmacy; the police frown upon stuff like that :- ( ; or maybe you thought this a free site despite needing a credit card deposit to enter?), no matter how thorough and helpful the information I provided, then I hope you enjoy my hard work for free. (If you are thinking I'm a "rich doctor" who doesn't need this income, I can assure you I am not. I would not be parked in a dark room in front of a computer monitor working hard to help you and others with complex medical problems.)