Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My wife has an allergic reaction to epogene, but not to procrit.

My wife has an allergic reaction to epogene, but not to procrit. Has anyne else
reported this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Yes, this has been reported. The two medicines,while similar, have different chemical structures. This difference can have very different effects on the immune system of some patients.

RickMD :

Procrit is made using recombinant DNA technology and is identical to human erythropoietin and, as as such is highly hypo-allergenic.

RickMD :

Here is a very good article that investigated just this issue:

RickMD :

Curr Med Res Opin. 2003;19(5):430-2. Epoetins: differences and their relevance to immunogenicity. Haselbeck A.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

RickMD :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
I hope your wife continues to do well on the Procrit. Have a good day :-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need a copy of the Curr Med Res Opin. indicated in your reply.

Thanks

Ok. Let me see if I can get you at link to the article. BRB
here is the link to the abstract of the article. I am unable to find a free source for the complete text but you may be able to contact one of the authors for a copy:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13678480

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC