Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I was thrown down in late Nov and have just been diagnosed

I was thrown down in late Nov and have just been diagnosed with a labral tear to the right hip with the femur head called "pistol grip" with a cam impingement. I have been in
pain all these months and have not been able to drive (right hip) nor sit for long periods of time. I have been using crutches as the pain after 5 minutes of walking is severe.
In the beginning I suffered for over 4 months from bursitis of the great trochander. I was given many pain medications, did acupuncture and alternative kinestheology treatment. I did not do any physical therapy for fear of further damaging the hip since I only received the mri results yesterday. What can I do to get my life back?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JA

This is a great question and has happened to many.

And there is a perfect answer. Let me know though if you have more details or questions....so.....

You need physical therapy.
But the correct therapy.

Do not go based on the order of anyone other than a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist, especially in this situation. This is an MD who spends his/her post graduate training on full body structural diagnosis and manual medicine therapies and treatment..you might need, physical therapy that is tailored to you, home exercise, traction, electronic therapy, injections, etc.......

This should happen before any consideration of surgical repair, although this is needed in some cases...if so, the PM&R doc can help you get through this better as well.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please select a 4 or 5 rating as this is how we are paid. Great service is my goal and if you are not yet satisfied please reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been afraid to drive for fear that my hip will not allow correct and quick responses to conditions on the road. It is difficult to even sit in the car for long periods of time. How long do you think the pt should take and when will i know if it is working or i need to give it up and have surgery.
You should notices definite improvement within 6 weeks of the program starting.
Better still at 12 weeks, and with home exercise you should continue to improve 6 months to a year.

If it is going to be feasible, you should be driving within 6 weeks...the doc can tell you once he/she sees you, and an MRI.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I appreciate your information. Is it possible that there has been permanent damage and I might remain with a limp or permanent pain? It has already been 8 months since the injury. I do realize I haven't been doing pt during that time. Is it possible that I won't be able to resume driving?

Thanks

That I can not tell without exam and MRI
But I can tell you that it is not usually the case.

I do not believe though between PT and possible surgery that you would have permanent disability as to driving.

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc