Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My wife recently(2wks ago) sprained her foot....she tripped

My wife recently(2wks ago) sprained her foot....she tripped on a raised piece of cement..we had it x-rayed and shows no break or fracture...however 2 weeks later still pretty swelled but bruising has diminished.....when sleeping...no pain.....as soon as she puts her foot on the floor pain begins and stays until she sleeps again is this normal and what can we do besides taking tylenol to start to rehab the foot and relieve the pain ? We are soaking it twice per day in epsom salts and trying to be on it as little as possible ! also we are rapping it when she is using it ....
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

It is possible that she has torn a ligament in her foot.

I recommend that she keep her weight off it (using crutches) and, if it doesn't show some improvement by the end of the week, have it examined by an orthopedic surgeon.

In the majority of cases these things heal up given time and by keeping the weight off of the foot but, if she still has significant pain with weight bearing after 3 weeks it should be looked at again, possibly with an MRI if the orthopedic doctor thinks it is indicated after examining her.

Does this make sense to you?

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not recieve any information....what happened????
Sorry about that. Our chat system has been infested with Gremlins :(

Please allow me to copy my reply here for your review:

Does this make sense to you?

Our engineers are working on the problem. I'm sorry about any inconvenience you may have experienced.

I'm still here and available if you would like to discuss this issue further.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do you think that if at the end of the 2nd week she tried using the foot by putting her weight on it andhopping that she prolonged the healing period ( 3wks) ???
No. I do not think that she has caused any further damage by trying to put weight on it. I think it is more of an issue that her initial injury may be more of a sprain and might involve some tearing of a ligament or two. The foot is a very complex beast.....

I'm sorry about the problems with the chat system we are having today :(
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC