Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My daughter is 5 years old and experiencing severe functional

My daughter is 5 years old and experiencing severe 'functional abdominal pain'. Can I give her buscopan? I am quite desparate - she is so miserable and it is stopping her getting to sleep.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

No. This medicine is not to be used in children under 6 years of age. Do not give it to your 5 year old child.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

what can we do??? she is in lots ofpain and really tired

RickMD :

I would contact a pediatrician for an alternative drug that may help to ease her mind about the abdominal pain.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

why can't we give it to her? what difference does 1 year of age make?

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

the pediatricians have only suggested paracetamol and ibuprofen

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

those drugs don't do anything for her!!

RickMD :

I would use regular tylenol and put a heating pad on her tummy and just tell her it will be ok. Maybe read to her, rub her head etc until she falls asleep.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

well taht's what we've been doing and it's not really working..

RickMD :

I am sorry that the pediatricians don't have any better advice but, in response to your question, giving her buscopan can be dangerous at her age. I would not do it.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

I'm getting desparate because she's crying with pain as soon as we stop reading or turn off the TV

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

Is buscopan dangerous in and of itself or just because it might mask the symptoms of something more dangerous?

RickMD :

Keep the tv on then....if it helps her to stop worrying about the pain.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

:-)

RickMD :

It is dangerous in and of itself in a 5 year old child.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

I guess we'll have to do that, but she won't sleep with the TV on - will have to find a boring program for her to watch

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

OK. I won't give her the Buscopan - hopefully this episode of stomach pain will end soon

RickMD :

My youngest son ( of 5 kids) had colic for the first year of his life....nothing we could do kept him from screaming like his arms were being ripped off....so I know EXACTLY what you are going through. Been there. Done that.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

it's been about 5 days now...every afternoon/evening(middle of the night)

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

thanks :-)

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

it's tough no matter what their age is

RickMD :

We didn't get much sleep that year but, now at 18, he isn't a bad kid so I'm glad I didn't feed him to the dogs like I sometimes wanted too. :-)

RickMD :

I feel your pain.....It will get better though, I promise.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

hahaha

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

it's hard not to believe that there's not something more serious wrong with her when she's in so much pain

RickMD :

Glad I could make you smile....

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

but the pediatricians over the last few days have all come up with nothing!!

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

so I'm glad that there's nothing more serious wrong but at the same time it's very frustrating that we can't do more to help.

RickMD :

So did ours....and as a Surgeon you can bet I hounded them for every single possible physical diagnosis...in the end it was "colic". It happens....

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

I'm currently travelling so it's even worse! we are in Poland right now

RickMD :

I came to understand how young parents, like teenagers etc, could come to harm their colicky children.....it becomes overwhelming.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

the doctors here have prescribed

No-Spa Comfort® (Drotaverini hydrochloridium)

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

do you know if there's an equivalent 'english' named product?

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

is it any good?

RickMD :

My Grandparents are from Warsaw

RickMD :

let me check. be right back

RickMD :

I can't find anything in English on that compound. The scientific chemical name doesn't come up with anything in English either.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

we are flying thru warsaw on wednesday but unfort. not stopping there.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

I didn't recognise it either...

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

it's by sanofi aventis...must be some equivalent....I'll see if I can find a polish dictionary online...

RickMD :

You may just have to leave the TV on and do what you can. Hopefully she will get so super tired that she will pass out.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

Yes - I really hope this doesn't go on too much longer it's killing us all. The stress and lack of sleep is terrible - not a great holiday!

RickMD :

OK. Maybe ask some grandmotherly-like Polish ladies you see around the hotel for ideas. Nothing like experience to come up with a solution :)

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

yeah...I think they think we are torturing her from all the noise she is making!

RickMD :

No. But in 20 years you can laugh about it at her Wedding lol!

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

hope so! Thanks for your help.

RickMD :

Good thing we lived on a horse ranch and didn't have any close neighbors or I'm sure the Sheriff would have been at our door. Who would think a 15 pound creature could make so much noise. I bet it is worse with a 5 year old!

RickMD :

My pleasure. I wish you the best and have a good holiday.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

and she's throwing her toys because she's so frustrated!

RickMD :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

RickMD :

Poor thing :( Give her a hug for me....

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

thanks

RickMD :

My pleasure.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

if I want follow up tomorrow, I need to pay again and you might not be online right?

RickMD :

No. Even after you click on the excellent feedback you can come back to this same thread tomorrow and I'll be happy to continue to help you at no additional charge.

RickMD :

I'll be online off and on all day tomorrow. I am in Central time USA

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

OK, that's great! Thanks. What if you wanted to refer me to chat iwth a gastroenterologist or pediatrician?

RickMD :

I can do that also or you could post to those threads. Either way will work

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

with extra payment or part of the same thread?

RickMD :

If you post new to them it would be a new payment, unless you are on a monthly plan. There are so many plans that it may be best to ask customer service what would be the least expensive way to ask multiple questions.....they don't let us "worker bee's" deal with important things like money ;)

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

no worries. I hopefully won't need more advice anyway!

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

Thanks for your time. I guess we can sign off now.

RickMD :

I hope not either. Give my best to your daughter and tell her it will be alright.....

RickMD :

OK.

JACUSTOMER-jnv7yfwx- :

Thanks!

RickMD :

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Have a good trip.