Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

there is a small lump under my jawline on the right side of

there is a small lump under my jawline on the right side of my neck/throat area. When I eat- anything- the lump gets bigger. Doesn't matter what I eat, the right side of my throat/neck feels tight and you can look at my neck and see the lump and see that that side is swollen
Hello from JA

I think this is a sub mandibular gland
If you feel your neck on the other side you might feel a smaller version of this

correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i don't really feel anything on the other side that sticks out or is lumpy. area is fairly smooth
OK
Sub mandibular glands are salivary glands and they swell when you eat.

One can be bigger on once side.

One can be extra large when there is a stone that forms in the gland.

This can be removed by an ENT doctor..ear nose and throat.

See this specialist [ent] to see if you have a stone in the gland.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please select a 4 or 5 rating as this is how we are paid. Great service is my goal and if you are not yet satisfied please reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, is it customary to have the area feel tight all the way up to the ear and down the neck? Are stones like calcium deposits?
Yes stones are like calcium deposits.
If this is infected or blocked it can refer pain like this...correct.

If it gets worse simply go to the ER, as antibiotics might be indicated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

one last question, can i just ignore it and will it go away on its own or should i go see a specialist to take care of it. One a scale of 1-5 with 5 being like- get your butt to the doctor- where would this fall?

for a minute there i thought it might be cancer. but cancer wouldn't swell after you eat- right?

why would this just start now- i had no symptoms before i first noticed it last night, is that usual?

No it probably will not go away.
See someone within 2 days...sooner if it is getting worse.
This is not cancer.
As a stone blocks it, or as infection sets in, it would suddenly get worse..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok- thank you for making me feel better. I won't worry so much now. Its just weird . . thank you again for your help.

Have a great 4th of July!

Yes it is.
You are welcome anytime
Any questions.