Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

i have jaw pain on the left side. Accompanied by gradual tingling

Customer Question

i have jaw pain on the left side.
Accompanied by gradual tingling & completely numb,
gradual swelling, warm to touch, tender in areas that aren't
numb. Have been to dentist, endodontist & periodontist.
X-rays reviewed & not a tooth or abcess problem.
Scheduled to see an Oral Maxilowfacial Dr. tomorrow.
Have had 5 days & taking 800 mg. of Ibuprophen every 6 hrs.
which helps the pain but not the numbness or swelling.
have Sjogrens syndrome & my mouth isn't dry or draining from the salivary gland.
Looking over the internet & wondering if it could be from alelvia for osteoporosis, or plaquenil (3 taken This past Thursday night
Friday & Saturday morning none today) for Sjogren's fatigue pain.
This pain began this past Tuesday evening & has worsened up to the moment.

What s your opinion?
Thank you,
June (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX)
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

How long has your jaw pain been going on? Are you able to open your mouth and chew OK or is this a problem?

RickMD :

What part of your jaw is painful? The whole upper, lower, joint etc?

RickMD :

Oops.....I should learn to read better....the pain Started Tuesday....got it :)

Customer:

Thank u.

Since Tuesday evening June 26.

RickMD :

I do not think that your plaquenil is related to your issue. It does sound like you have been getting excellent care so far. I also assume that those were dental xrays and not a cat scan of your head or a dental cat scan of your entire face and jaw, correct?

Customer:

Lower jaw on left side not the joint that point area is a little tender though.

i can open my mouth pretty wide but chewing hurts.

Customer:

Yes they are dental x-rays

RickMD :

Do you have any other aches and pains? Does it hurt to touch/comb your hair or press against your temple area?

RickMD :

Have you lost weight recently without trying?

RickMD :

Also, does your jaw get "tired" from chewing when you eat?

RickMD :

One more question :) Do you have any medical problems (other then sjogren's) or take any medicine?

Customer:

both temples feel a little tender.

RickMD :

ok

RickMD :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

RickMD :

If you still there please respond now......

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system but we can continue here.

If you don't mind, could you please continue to respond to my questions? Thanks :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alright. no appetite but I'm eating because of taking the medicine. chewing is a little tiring. Have treated depression & sleep apnea. Also take provigil for the sleep apnea.
Sorry about the technical problems this afternoon :(

One thing that I was thinking about with all theses questions is a condition called Giant Cell Arteritis. Since I can't examine your jaw this is something that might need to be ruled out. A simple blood test (ESR and CRP) is a good start.

Another possible cause for all your symptoms is a tumor or abscess in your jaw. I know you said no abscess was noted by dental xrays only look at the teeth and the jaw right next to them, not the entire structure of you jawbone.

I think that tomorrow the maxillofacial surgeon will give you a through going over and might even order a CT scan of your sinus' jaw and adjacent areas. I'm glad you managed to get in so quickly.

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good answers Rick. Thank you

My pleasure :)
Hi June,

I was just thinking about you today and wondering what the maxillofacial surgeon found on her exam. I hope you start feeling better soon :)