Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hx of bullseye rash, neg IFA, positive West blt bands, 23,39.

Hx of bullseye rash, neg IFA, positive West blt bands, 23,39. No IGG bands. ID Dr says no, what do you think. Multiple systemic symptoms skin rashes, joint pain, bursa lt elbow.I am a registered nurse, and have done much research about this disease, but Dr's don't seem to want to aknowledge this disease in SC.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

As a person who has had Lymes, that then progressed to lymes arthritis.....all in the face of negative testing I agree with your plan of taking doxycycline. Although you should be well treated as 30 days of 100 my PO BID is more then adequate therapy.

Customer:
RickMD :

How long ago did you have your first symptoms and how long has it been since you finished your, rather extended, course of doxy?

RickMD :

I could not see anything you were typing. We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD :

RickMD :

</pCustomer:
RickMD :

RickMD :

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have stopped doxy 2 months ago, but I re'd another deer tick bite 45 days ago. I think I will dose with Doxy again
At this point it is possible that you did have lymes infection, that the lymes bacteria have been cleared from your body by your oral therapy and you are just one of the small minority of patients who continue to have symptoms.

It is known that even after treatment some patients have continued muscle aches and pains, fatigue and other issues. The reason behind these problems is not well understood but some practitioners believe that a small subset of patients who are infected with lymes disease are predisposed to an overactive immune response that caused the continued symptoms.

The best thing to do in this case is to consult with an immunology specialist. A course of IV antibiotics is not indicated in these cases.

Does this make sense to you?

I just received your reply and, yes, it is entirely possible to be reinfected with lymes and, in these cases, retreatment with oral therapy is indicated.

Of course you know that studies have shown that if the tick is removed before it has been attached for 48 hours infection is very unlikely....

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

I'm sorry about the technical difficulties we are experiencing this morning :(

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC