Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

my little thing that hangs down in my throat is swollen and

my little thing that hangs down in my throat is swollen and I don't feel well. I about choked on it. I thought it was phelm
Hello from AJ

This is an excellent question and I am glad you are asking about it.

I am a board certified internist and I can tell you right now that you need a throat culture.

That thing is called the uvula and when it gets swollen it can be viral or bacterial infection and sometimes a strep infection can do this.

Since strep infections can become dangerous then you need a rapid strep test and antibiotics if positive.

Rarely the uvula can interfere with swallowing to the point that it gets dangerous, so the doctor might want to give you anti-histamines or anti-inflammatory along with antibiotics as indicated.

Right now you can gargle with a mild salt water solutions, 1/4 teaspoon in 1 cup water.

If you have a health food store and they have homeopathic tincture of calendula, 5 drops in a quarter cup of water.

I would use nothing harsh on this at this point as it might stimulate more severe reactions.

And I would see urgent care.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please select a 4 or 5 rating as this is how we are paid. Great service is my goal and if you are not yet satisfied please reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas