Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

My adult son has a breath that would knock you over from across

My adult son has a breath that would knock you over from across the room. He has good hygiene and brushes his teeth rinsing with mouthwash. He appears to be in good health, eats a healthy diet and does not smoke. I think the odor is coming from someplace other than his mouth. What could be causing this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 4 years ago.
Dear customer,

how long are the symptoms?
did he has fever or abdomen pain?
did he take any drug or consulted a doctor yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I notice them early in the morning mostly but have sometimes smelled the odor later in the day as well. Don't really know how long this has been going on but I mentioned it to him maybe a month ago and have said something several times since such as asking him if he has brushed his teeth... he always says he has.

He's had no fever or abdomenal pain.

He had a recent physical but I'm sure didn't mention the bad breath. He is not on any drug and the DR considers him healthy. He is not obese either.

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 4 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thank you for information,

The bad breath from mouth is known as halitosis.It has many causes like bacterial growth, local throat infection, gum or peridontal infection, sinusitis, bronchiectasis, GERD, liver or kidney disease etc.

The bad breath from mouth especially during morning may be due to the bacterial overgrowth overnight.The daily brushing twice is recommended and especially before bed time after meals.

THe ENT and dental check up should also be done to rule out any local infection.The antiseptic mouth wash is also helpful in such cases.

The treatment is according to underlying cause.The other causes should also be ruled out.

Here is the link for more information

causes of bad breath

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you