Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Pain left collarbone to front of shoulder. No injury, just

Pain left collarbone to front of shoulder. No injury, just started hurting. Worse When I lay down, not responding to heat or ice. Deep type of pain. 54 yr old female, very healthy otherwise.
There are several possibilities that can cause pain in the front of the shoulder by the collar bone.

In he absence of injury, the most common cause would be inflammation. This can be a primary inflammatory process or associated with degenerative (wear and tear) changes. It is also possible that it could be a sprain or strain of the muscles around the clavicle. Some of the rotator cuff muscles and tendons are also just deep to the clavicle.

In addition to what you have already been doing, it may help to use an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, although it may require a higher dose. At lower doses, anti-inflammatory medicines may help ease pain, but higher doses are better at relieving inflammation. The anti-inflammatory dose of ibuprofen is 1600-2400 mg per day, in divided doses. The anti-inflammatory dose of naproxen is 1000-1500 mg per day, in divided doses.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The pain is deep Under the collarbone and stretches to shoulder. Just want you to know where the majority of the pain is.
I interpreted what you meant as under the outer aspect of the collarbone near the shoulder extending to the shoulder itself, which is a very common location. Do you mean that it extends along the entire length of the collarbone? Or only along the outer aspect of the collarbone?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, under the entire length of the collarbone. It is a very sharp pain, like someone is banging on it with a hammer. I am on a regular dose of Tylenol for chronic back pain and I take a daily aspirin. Increasing either of those does not help .
The other issues noted above can cause pain along the entire length of the collarbone, but there are a couple of other possibilities to add. There is a muscle that lies under the collarbone, the subclavius muscle, which could be strained to cause pain along the entire length of the collarbone. The other possibility would be problems within the upper lung can cause pain that is felt just deep to the inner or middle aspect of the collarbone. Since the pain extends to the shoulder, it is still more likely that it is musculoskeletal, and using the anti-inflammatory medicine would be appropriate. Tylenol has no anti-inflammatory activity, so is not a substitute for the ibuprofen or naproxen. The aspirin does have anti-inflammatory activity, but a much higher dose would be necessary, and it has a much higher incidence of stomach upset at such high doses.