Dr. Haroon Iqbal
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience:  18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.

I have a pain across my back, under my shoulder blades like

I have a pain across my back, under my shoulder blades like a strap, that awakened me. Slight nausea. Blood pressure cuff reads 159/104, my normal is 115/ 90. I am a68 year old female, very active, 5'5", very overweight but always have been. Mother had Gaul bladder problem w removal. I take enalapril 10mg, bupropion 150mg, daily vitamins and imetrex when needed. I just took two baby aspirin. I am concerned but how concerned should I be?
Hello and welcome to JA !

My name isXXXXX , and i am an expert in all fields of medicine and i will do best to help you .If you do have querier please never hesitate to ask me.
Causes of pain across upper back , as I understood from your question ,are ,
Gallstones and gall bladder inflammation , which is usually accompanied by nausea also.
I think you should under go abdominal ultrasound for gallbladder and if necessary MRI also.
other causes of such pain are ,
Muscle spasm ,
arthritis ,
sometimes gastritis pain which usually presents upper abdomen also.
If you have chest discomfort also , you must go to ER for EKG and BP evaluation and control because high BP may cause upper back pain.
In your case most likely the cause if gallbladder and better if you can visit ER to have compete check up.
Hope I have answered your question.Let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I will contact my GP today. I agree that it may be gall bladder with my mothers experience. At least I'm not having a heart attract as I feared. Thank you for your advice.