Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience:  •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
66242556

Does a double hernia effect bowel movements

Category: Medical
Expert:  Coachrobmd replied 2 years ago.

Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

The views expressed here are for educational purposes only and do not establish a physician-patient relationship. It is NOT intended to replace your own physician's advice or diagnosis. If this is an emergency, stop now and please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there? If so, NOW is the time to chime in so we can chat.

Coachrobmd :

A hernia is when the bowel has left the abdomen through a gap in the groin, and enters the scrotum.

Coachrobmd :

So, yes, rarely it can cause bowel movement problems. However, since it's generally the small intestines that herniate, this is not that common. The large bowel is where stool is formed.

Coachrobmd :

If you have a double hernia, that should be corrected by a surgeon.

Coachrobmd :

If this is an OLD hernia that has been repaired correctly, then no, it should not affect your bowel movement at all. Everything should be back in the proper place if it was corrected.

Coachrobmd :

Any other questions I can answer for you today?

Coachrobmd :

============= Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the urge to to leave a NEGATIVE rating of "EXPECTED MORE" or "HELPED A LITTLE" (or ONE or TWO STARS, depending upon your screen), please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. I will be happy to do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Selecting from the RIGHTMOST 2 faces/stars is how I receive compensation for all the years of training that went into assisting you today. It would be most appreciated.

Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience: •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.