Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience:  •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
66242556

I have muscle pain in my arm and butt cheeks that is very painful

I have muscle pain in my arm and butt cheeks that is very painful to walk and move my right arm for last 9 mouths.

Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

The views expressed here are for educational purposes only and do not establish a physician-patient relationship. It is NOT intended to replace your own physician's advice or diagnosis. If this is an emergency, stop now and please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there? If so, NOW is the time to chime in so we can chat.

Coachrobmd :

Because I can NOT see, touch, speak with or examine you, nor do I have access to your complete medical history, labs, scans or medications, I will NOT be able to give you an exact diagnosis. If that's what you are expecting from me here, STOP READING NOW. Otherwise you may possibly give me a negative I BAD/POOR SERVICE rating, which is not helpful. There are limits to what can be done across the internet. PLEASE keep this in mind as you read my responses.

Coachrobmd :

Muscle pain in the butt/thighs and arms is often a disease known as Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR).

Coachrobmd :

Have a look at this informative website after we're done (I am not permitted due to copyright laws to copy anything from any website and paste it here for your convenience):

Coachrobmd :

This is an often overlooked isease that is touugh to figure out if you've never heard of it.

Coachrobmd :

I saw it fairly often in my older patients at the VA Hospital where i served veterans.

Coachrobmd :

The diagnosis is made by a blood test called an erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)

Coachrobmd :

If elevated, there is one treament: steroids.

Coachrobmd :

there is no single diagnosis other than PMR that i can explain the shoulder and hip girdles in one diganosis.

Coachrobmd :

Nerve irritation is not a cause because these are entirely DIFFERENT nerve areas.

Coachrobmd :

You need to

Coachrobmd :

1. see the primary care physician (PCP)

Coachrobmd :

2. ask for an erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and complete blood count (CBC)

Coachrobmd :

3. ask for an MRI of the lumbar spine if that's negative as this could explain the leg problems if the nerves are trapped

Coachrobmd :

4. a neurologist may be of assistance for a one timme consultation in addition.

Coachrobmd :

A chirpractor is unlikely to help so I'm not surprised. They're good at spinal issues, but not for PMR.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there?

Coachrobmd :

That's the one diagnosis that jumps to mind for this symptom complex.

Coachrobmd :

This is the very best information I can provide for you with the background details you provided. Please keep in mind the significant hurdles I face: I cannot see you, touch you, examine you, see your labs, review your studies, get your complete medical/surgical or family history, or most important or all, SPEAK with you like your regular doctor can. If you expected a definitive diagnosis or treatment, I'm sorry if this disappoints you. There are simply too many limitations for that to happen over the internet. If that WAS what you were expecting, please do NOT rate this as BAD SERVICE or click on ONE STAR. Kindly ask me to find another expert to assist you and I'll refer you to someone else who will go out on a limb for you. I can not do that and maintain my own integrity. Thank you!

Coachrobmd :

============= If you would like any additional information or have more questions, please don’t hesitate to ask! Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either "BAD or POOR SERVICE" (or ONE or TWO STARS, depending upon your screen), please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. I will be happy to do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Selecting from the TOP 3 faces/stars is how I receive compensation for all the years of training that went into assisting you today. It would be most appreciated.

Coachrobmd :

Keep in mind that after seven MONTHS, this is a tough diagnosis to make in 15 minutes wihtout seeing you, but PMR bears looking into.

Coachrobmd :

If that doesn't work, you can always come back if you rate this highly as follow-up questoins are always accepted.

Coachrobmd :

But to make a DEFINITE DIAGNOSIS? Nobody can do that wihout an examination.

Coachrobmd :

Look forward to a favorable rating and follow-up questions.

Coachrobmd :

I'll be in and out most of today so I'll be checking JA.com on and off. If you write back, it may take a couple of hours to hear back from me, so please be patient. It's the weekend and I need time to do errands and attend to family matters, so I can't sit here continuously. But I haven't forgotten about you.

Thank you so much for ACCEPTING my answer. That was MOST generous. If you have any follow-up questions about the issue we recently discussed on JustAnswer.com, or any NEW items that may have come up as a result of my recommendations, please return to our original thread (see link below) and add a new post at the end. I'll get an email notifying me that you want more assistance. It's best to have the first line of your next post state "FOR COACHROBMD ONLY" so other experts won't become involved. If I don't hear back from you, hopefully everything turned out well. If you recall, your question related to: pain in the butt and arm.

Go here to post your response (click REPLY), and I'll get an email notifying me you want to hear back from me: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/6tp9x-muscle-pain-arm-butt-cheeks-painful.html