Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have had a cough for over a month and a half to two months.

I have had a cough for over a month and a half to two months. No fever or flu of any kind. Have felt fine other than a severe tickle in the back of the thorat which is causing me to cough non stop especially when talking. Absolutely no soreness of the throat or anything but have experienced a very unusual feeling of pressure from my throat on down to about my sternum. This pressure accompanied by the tickle is making me cough practically non-stop. I know it is unusal to have a cough like this for this long, but wonder if it is something serious or potentially worse.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for your question.
This is Dr. Robert, I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
I am going to assist you with your question today, First, I need a little more information:

Are you chronic smoker?
Do you pass green phlegm with cough?
Do you have chest pain?
Do you have shortness of breath?
Do you have cough episodes in early morning?
Any past significant medical illness?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I quit smoking back in the '90's. I had 2 or 3 times where I passed phlegm when I first started this coughing but not since then. Within the last week or two, I have had some minor chest pains which I associated to being caused by coughing so hard. I have had shortness of breath for several years now. My cough episodes comes at all times through the day and night. I have never had this problem at all until the last month or two. Used to get bronchitus once sometimes twice a year but have not had it in over seven to eight years.
Dear Greg, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
Having cough for last 2 months, is of concern and have to be clinically evaluated by doctor. Possible causes for such symptoms are-
1. Asthma
2. Chronic bronchitis- It is long-standing inflammation of airways (bronchial tubes), this can cause congestion, breathlessness. It is most common with persons having history of smoking.
3. Bronchiectasis - This condition results in abnormal widening of your bronchial tubes affects their ability to clear mucus from your lungs.

Cigarette smokers may develop irreversible narrowing of their bronchial tubes from inflammation and scarring, which lead to breathing problems.

First of all you need to get few tests done. These are-
-Spirometry.
-Peak flow.
-A chest x-ray
-Blood work
These tests will determine how much air moves in and out as you breathe.

In your case the best line of treatment is-

1. Oral medications like montelukast (Singulair), zafirlukast (Accolate).
2. Inhaled medications- Long-acting beta agonists like salmeterol (Serevent) and formoterol (Foradil, Perforomist), open the airways and reduce inflammation.

And in addition, a short course of systemic corticosteroid therapy may be given and has been proven to be effective.
-Also Albuterol and guaifenesin products treat cough, dyspnea, and wheezing.

I would recommend that you visit Pulmonologist for clinical evaluation. You need to undergo tests as advised, and accordingly line of treatment will be selected.

I trust I've helped, and please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied.

IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button.

I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I work as a firefighter/emt but have never had any troubles associated with my job as far as fire side goes. I do transport a patient regularly who is always hacking on us in the back of the ambulance and I kind of feel that is when I acquired this. A couple other emt's have also transported this male subject and also acquired a cough after contact with him. But their coughs have long gone away. I know this particular patient has a hx of MRSA and wonder if that can cause a cough as i know little about it.
Dear Greg,I can understand your concern and worry.
Well, the risk for MRSA transmission is through Breathing the tiny droplets that are expelled during breathing, coughing, or sneezing. Also Touching a contaminated surface or Touching the skin of another individual who is colonized with MRSA, can lead to transmission.

You may need to antibiotic to treat the symptoms. But few tests should be done, as advised in previous post.

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician