Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

what does it mean if your stool is BLUE? have not eaten anything

what does it mean if your stool is BLUE?
have not eaten anything different but the color is very prominate
about the color of those tabs that you put in the toilet to deoderize

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

That color has to be from something you ate. I am not aware of any medical condition that causes your stool to become bright blue.

RickMD :

It may take a few days for the color to return to normal if you are no longer eating whatever caused your stool to change color. I would not worry about this at all.

RickMD :

That being said, if you are really concerned you could put some stool in a ziplock bag and bring it to your doctor.....but, in my opinion, this is not necessary.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

RickMD :

It was a pleasure to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. Have a great day.

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Have a good day :-)
I was just thinking about your and your blue stool. Has things changed back to normal color yet? Did you ever figure out what you might have ate to cause this color change?