Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience:  •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.

pain in and around the pelvic and hip area lower back , pain on both sides?

Customer Question

pain in and around the pelvic and hip area
lower back , pain on both sides?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Coachrobmd replied 2 years ago.

Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

The views expressed here are for educational purposes only and do not establish a physician-patient relationship. It is NOT intended to replace your own physician's advice or diagnosis. If this is an emergency, stop now and please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there? If so, NOW is the time to chime in so we can chat.

Coachrobmd :

Lower hip pain can be due to:

Coachrobmd :

1. disk disease in the lumbar area

Coachrobmd :

2. uterine fibroids

Coachrobmd :

3. iliopsoas (muscle) damage or cysts

Coachrobmd :

4. psoas tendon injury

Coachrobmd :

This would require an MRI to evaluate the anatomy of this area to discern which, if any, of these items exist.

Coachrobmd :

Each has different therapies, so it is important to distinguish between them.

Coachrobmd :

I see you've had 'shots' but that doesn't explain where, by whom, etc.

Coachrobmd :

So, I'm in the dark a bit here.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes I'm here

Coachrobmd :

Can we chat now? Yes or No?

Customer:

yes i'm here. what can you tell me

Coachrobmd :

Have you read what I've written so far? Yes or No?

Coachrobmd :

Please keep your answers on the short side so we can communicate back and forth more easily.

Customer:

yes i'm here, what can you tell me. yes.

Coachrobmd :

I need to know if an MRI was ever done? Yes or No? Please type just ONE of those words so you don't have to type so much.

Customer:

yes

Coachrobmd :

When,and what did it show?

Customer:

degeneration of disk, the shots I had was a a set three, and I had shots three times.

Coachrobmd :

Well, if you have disk degeneration, that's the cause.

Coachrobmd :

Let me continue please.

Coachrobmd :

The shots, called intrathecal, are an attempt to get nerve numbing stuff into the spaces between the vertebrae which are squishing the nerves. This is called "neurogenic disk pain" and is VERy tough to treat.

Coachrobmd :

I had the same issue,and it took me some time to find the right radiologist to inject me. This is a very techincal procedure and if not done by the person with the right experience, it's not going to work.

Coachrobmd :

Then there is the issue of whether or not the medication gets to the right spot.

Coachrobmd :

So, there are many factors as to whether or not this is going to work.

Coachrobmd :

Does this make sense? Yes or No? Please type just ONE of those words so you don't have to type so much.

Customer:

yes

Coachrobmd :

Please stay with me so I can help you better. I need you to respond to my questions.

Coachrobmd :

So, given what I've said, and having suffered horrifically with back pain myself, I've been exactly where you were. So much so that I could no longer walk.

Coachrobmd :

And then I went to a neurosurgeon and he had two suggestions.

Coachrobmd :

1. Tough it out if you can (I couldn't)

Coachrobmd :

2. Consider neurosurgery.

Coachrobmd :

This can involved a laminectomy, a diskectomy, or a lumbar fusion. I chose the fusion, and can now walk pain free.

Coachrobmd :

Has this been discussed by a neurosurgeon with you? Yes or No? Please type just ONE of those words so you don't have to type so much.

Customer:

no

Coachrobmd :

Can you see one for a consultation?

Customer:

yes

Coachrobmd :

Okay, Let me continue please.

Coachrobmd :

1. Schedule an appointment with one that a friend has seen.

Coachrobmd :

2. Bring your medical records

Coachrobmd :

3. Bring the MRI itself. Go to the radiology suite where it was done, and they will burn a copy to a CD disk.

Coachrobmd :

4. Let the neurosurgeon look at it himself. The written report is NOT good enough; he needs to see it himself.

Coachrobmd :

5. Ask him if he things a laminectomy, disk procedure, or spinal fusion will help.

Coachrobmd :

6. If not, ask him who HE sends his patients to for pain injections. He may have a top notch guy who does a great job. Not knocking YOUR pain guy, but they're not all created equally :- (

Coachrobmd :

7. After that, you'll have a better plan of attack.

Coachrobmd :

Does this make sense? Yes or No?

Customer:

yes, can i print this?

Coachrobmd :

Yes, and here's how.

Coachrobmd :

To copy this, click at the top of this page with the mouse button, drag the cursor all the way down to the bottom (this will highlight the text), and then go to the EDIT menu and select COPY. Then EDIT:PASTE it into a text document. That's a way to save it.

Coachrobmd :

I cannot email it because the site does not allow it. If you accept this answer, i can email you the link tomorrow to this (the site doesn't allow it to be done the same day) and in that email, you'll find the link to this question).

Coachrobmd :

Then, you'll have it forever.

Coachrobmd :

Does this make sense?

Coachrobmd :

Are you still there?

Customer:

ok at the bottom of screen it says save and exit, is this ok. i do need all the imformation you gave.

Coachrobmd :

I don't know, because I can't see your screen. But if you click accept, I'll send you the link. That works for everybody.

Coachrobmd :

They just made site changes, so everything is different on both our screens.

Customer:

i accept

Coachrobmd :

Click on it and I'll send you the link. I can't do that unless accept has been clicked and that option becomes available.

Coachrobmd :

I don't design the site; I just answer the qeustions :- )

Customer:

i can't get the click accept to work do i just do the rating?

Coachrobmd :

Do the rating and I'll have Customer Service Representative (CSR) do the accept.

Coachrobmd :

then I'll be able to send the link.

Coachrobmd :

Are we set?

Coachrobmd :

POSITIVE feedback is FREE for you to leave about our session today. It is VERY important for me to get feedback so I can help customers the best way possible. This is VERY different than an office setting where I can see if you're satisfied with our discussion. Please consider taking one minute to fill this out. Thank you.

Customer:

ok thank you very much , you have been very helpful.

Coachrobmd :

And I pray you get relief.

Coachrobmd :

Thanks for coming to JustAnswer.com today. If you ever want me again for other medical issues, please type FOR COACHROBMD ONLY in the subject line. Have a great day.

Coachrobmd :

try accept one more time if you don't mind.

Coachrobmd :

Take care,

Coachrobmd :

CoachRobMD

Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience: •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
The site is here. Now you can find it!

best of luck and write back when you know more.

CoachRobMD