Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience:  •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
66242556

Hi, I have a very high monocyte percentage (16.7) and 1.0 absolute

Hi, I have a very high monocyte percentage (16.7) and 1.0 absolute monocytes. My abc is 5.7. I also have a tsp of 6 and have hashimotos thyroiditis (which I treat with synthroid) Are these things possibly related?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Coachrobmd replied 2 years ago.

Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

The views expressed here are for educational purposes only and do not establish a physician-patient relationship. It is NOT intended to replace your own physician's advice or diagnosis. If this is an emergency, stop now and please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.

Coachrobmd :

atyl

Coachrobmd :

Are you there? If so, NOW is the time to chime in so we can chat.

Coachrobmd :

Monocytes are one of the lines of White Blood Cell (WBC) in the body.

Coachrobmd :

A high count is found int:

Customer:

hi now is good

Coachrobmd :

Monos are foundin a lot of disease. Do you want them all?

Coachrobmd :

Have a look at this informative website after we're done (I am not permitted due to copyright laws to copy anything from any website and paste it here for your convenience):

Coachrobmd :

http://www.ntpathology.com/causes_monocytosis.html

Customer:

no, I have done some of this preliminary research already

Customer:

Is it possible my immune system is attacking my thyroid?

Coachrobmd :

So, you'r sakin gif it is realted to thyroid?

Customer:

yes

Coachrobmd :

Yes, your immune system can be the cause of Hashimotos, as this is also called autoimmune thyroiditis.

Coachrobmd :

Customer:

yes...I understand that already. Can it be the explanation for the monocytes?

Coachrobmd :

Yes, monos can rise in autoimmune disease.

Coachrobmd :

As you'll see it is elevated ij ulcerative colitis, Crohns, SLE and rheumatoic arthritis as well.

Coachrobmd :

All autoimmune in nature.

Customer:

ok...i am looking for some clue. Should this be of high concern?

Coachrobmd :

So, this is a COMMON finding in Hashimoto's thyroiditis

Coachrobmd :

No, it is not . IT's part of the disease, just a thyroid function abjnormalities are.

Customer:

high monocytes, you mean?

Coachrobmd :

HIgh monocytes, yes.

Coachrobmd :

But other causes such as infection could be superimposed on TOP off Hashis.

Coachrobmd :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

16.7 just seems way out of the range. Is there treatment. If I get my tsp down a little, will this likely help?

Coachrobmd :

So, it could be something IN ADDITONI to hashis.

Coachrobmd :

Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Customer:

tsh, i meant

Coachrobmd :

Treatmet is by treating the underlying disorder. In Hashi's it lags behind the disease treatment.

Coachrobmd :

So, no worries about a high mono count.
I

Customer:

should i be tested for other infections?

Coachrobmd :

If concerned, a hematologist can look at the peripheral smear and assess the morhology of the monos to be sure they're normal. Increased in count, but still normal in appearance.

Coachrobmd :

No, no search needs ton be done unless

Coachrobmd :

1. fever

Coachrobmd :

2. evidence of infection

Coachrobmd :

3. lymph nodes enlarged

Coachrobmd :

4. feeling LOUSY as all get out'

Coachrobmd :

5. Your primary care physician (PCP) has a suspicion there is something not quite right about th way things are going

Coachrobmd :

6. Your spleen is enlarged.

Customer:

i am asymptomatic....so the best course is to manage my tsp down a bit and hope the monocytes go down?

Coachrobmd :

That's when I launch into full scale attack on MY patients :-(

Customer:

tsh, i mean

Coachrobmd :

Yes, that but will lag after the TSH is normalized. That's how it goes with this disorder.

Coachrobmd :

I know what you mean; typos are VERY common on this site. :-)

Coachrobmd :

Any other questions I can answer for you today?

Customer:

what do you mean by lag?

Coachrobmd :

Meanign once the TSH is normal, there can be a lag before the monos come down. In some, it never does because the autoimmune process is "smoldering" and not easily detectable.

Coachrobmd :

So, don't freak if the TSH is normal but monos remain elevated. part of the disease I"m afraid.

Customer:

ok...thanks.

Coachrobmd :

Coachrobmd :

If no:

Coachrobmd :

If you like my answer, PLEASE click ACCEPT so that I may receive payment for assisting you today. It would be most appreciated. BONUSES are also welcome!

Coachrobmd :

POSITIVE feedback is FREE for you to leave about our session today. It is VERY important for me to get feedback so I can help customers the best way possible. This is VERY different than an office setting where I can see if you're satisfied with our discussion. Please consider taking one minute to fill this out. Thank you.

Customer:

no...i am happy. Thank you

Coachrobmd :

This is VERy useful to me.

Coachrobmd :

To get me to assist you with medical issues in the future, you need to type FOR COACHROBMD ONLY in the SUBJECT line and use the GENERAL MEDICAL category. That way other experts won't answer it unless I'm away for a day or two. (You can bookmark me in your browser favorites at http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-coachrobmd/)

Coachrobmd :

If you have ANY questions about what I wrote, please write back for clarification. I'm happy to continue working with you toward a resolution.

Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience: •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.