Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I have noticed my index finger starting to turn inward and

I have noticed my index finger starting to turn inward and I am concerned it is arthritis and will just keep getting worse. There also appear to be two nubbies at the end joint of that finger. Should I see a doctor about this in hopes of slowing down the curvature of the finger? If so, would a rheumatologist be the most appropriate? If it is arthritis, can anything be done to stop the disfiguration?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

Curving of fingers with swelling at the small joints {interphalangeal joints}. It is surely due to arthritis at the small joints. Wear and tear at the joints cause erosion of the small bones with loening of the tendons causing curving of the fingers.

Rheumatologist is the right one to get evaluated from. Few investigations like blood tests and x ray should give us more answers.

Till than - cold compress, Tylenol should give you relief.

Best