How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ken Your Own Question
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6559
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Ken is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have noticed my index finger starting to turn inward and

Resolved Question:

I have noticed my index finger starting to turn inward and I am concerned it is arthritis and will just keep getting worse. There also appear to be two nubbies at the end joint of that finger. Should I see a doctor about this in hopes of slowing down the curvature of the finger? If so, would a rheumatologist be the most appropriate? If it is arthritis, can anything be done to stop the disfiguration?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

Curving of fingers with swelling at the small joints {interphalangeal joints}. It is surely due to arthritis at the small joints. Wear and tear at the joints cause erosion of the small bones with loening of the tendons causing curving of the fingers.

Rheumatologist is the right one to get evaluated from. Few investigations like blood tests and x ray should give us more answers.

Till than - cold compress, Tylenol should give you relief.


Ken and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you