Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

My husband used Lysol Toilet Bowl cleaner instead of dishwasher

My husband used Lysol Toilet Bowl cleaner instead of dishwasher detergent by mistake. We believe he used it 3 times in the dishwasher. About a week ago, my tongue has felt tingling and my mouth feels funny. Could the feeling in my mouth have anything to do with using the lysol to wash the dishes?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 4 years ago.

I can understand your concern.

It is possible that the mixup is the cause of your oral symptoms.

Lysol toilet bowl cleaner is a pretty strong cleaner and not for use orally - it is possible that some small amount might have been ingested by you.

This can cause glossitis - inflammation of the tongue - and this can cause the symptoms you are having.

But the good news is - this is not serious. It will heal by itself without much problem - all it needs is a little time.

Take the following steps: maintain good oral hygeine,rinse your mouth after every meal, avoid smoking and alcohol. Also take Vit. B supplements which you can get from your pharmacy, take two capsules a day.

This will give you relief from this condition.

Take care - this is usually not a serious problem - these steps will give you relief - if it persists show a doctor - good luck.

I hope my answer has helped you. Do not hesitate to ask further questions if you need more info. Bonus and a good feedback are always welcome.