Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience:  •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
66242556

I am having a pulsing in the right side of my abdomen....no

I am having a pulsing in the right side of my abdomen....no pain,aches of fever?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Coachrobmd replied 2 years ago.

Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

The views expressed here are for educational purposes only and do not establish a physician-patient relationship. It is NOT intended to replace your own physician's advice or diagnosis. If this is an emergency, stop now and please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.

Coachrobmd :

This can be due to a # XXXXX things obviously

Coachrobmd :

The major artery is the aorta in the belly and it is HUGE. Pulsation of this artery can be felt across the ennire abdomen

Coachrobmd :

It does not cause pain, fever, diarrhea, or constipation.

Coachrobmd :

So, that is one possibility.

Coachrobmd :

Another is the renal artery, which lies in the rear of the abdomen, and supplies the kidney. If you're feeling this pulse, you're in BIG trouble.

Coachrobmd :

If you're very thin, it's not abnormal to feel pulsations when laying flat.

Coachrobmd :

If you're concerned, you can have a ultrasound (U/S) of the abdominal aorta to check if it is >5 cardiomyopathy.

Coachrobmd :

that could be centimeters, not cardiomyopathy. Sorry.

Coachrobmd :

A flat abdomen x-ray can be taken to eevaluate for intestinal obstruction of dilaton, and that is a simple test.

Coachrobmd :

But most people at times feel their abdomen pulsing at times, and I don't get concerned very much about this.

Coachrobmd :

If it comes and goes, that is further evidence that it is not a major problem.

Coachrobmd :

But if you want, you can request an ultrasound (U/S) of the abdomen to look at the aorta size.

Coachrobmd :

If you develop pain, then you can go to the ER and be seen. Absent that, this is not likely to be of major concern.

Coachrobmd :

Please realize this: I am limited to the information that I glean from your posts, as I can't see, talk to, or touch you. I can only give you my approach to the evaluation of your symptoms if you were in my office. That puts me at a disadvantage compared to your doctor who actually sees your body right there in the office. This is just the nature of advising across the internet. A specific diagnosis under these conditions is VERY difficult.

Coachrobmd :

If you like my answer, PLEASE click ACCEPT so that I may receive payment for assisting you today. It would be most appreciated. BONUSES are also welcome!

Coachrobmd :

POSITIVE feedback is FREE for you to leave about our session today. It is VERY important for me to get feedback so I can help customers the best way possible. This is VERY different than an office setting where I can see if you're satisfied with our discussion. Please consider taking one minute to fill this out. Thank you.

Coachrobmd :

If you have ANY questions about what I wrote, please write back for clarification. I'm happy to continue working with you toward a resolution.

Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience: •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How would you know if it was the renal artery? what would the symtpoms be?
It isn't that. It is too small for it to be felt. It was more a comment that, if that's what it is, you've got HUMUNGOUS problems. Nobody feels their renal arteries. Too small.

The aorta is a likely source, especially if you're thin. It tends to transmit pulse waves very easily through the abdomen, which is full of organs that are great at transmitting wave impulses.

So, in 99,5% if the time, this is nothing more than just self-awareness, sort of when you notice the sound the refrigerator makes.

Does this make sense?

============ If you found this information useful, please rate my answer – I hope you found it to be Excellent! This is how I get compensated for assisting you with your medical issue today. BONUSES are also welcome!